applying gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggjoee5790

In Runtime
im going to buy a new heatsink for my cpu.. im considering the big typhoon.. or one of the zalmans.. anyways, when i take off my old heatsink, how to i get rid of the old, hard existing paste? also.. how much arctic silver should i apply?

Use a lint-free cloth to get off as much thermal compound as you can. Some rubbing alcohol and the same type of towel will help you clean it the rest of the way.

Use about a grain of rice and another half of that. It doesn't take much. Put the dab smack in the center. It'll spread out under the heatsink where all of the little dips in the metal are.

Ryan

ok.. so i can put liquid like alcohol on it. i wasnt sure if i could. and only the size of a grain and a half of rice?? sounds like very little but ive never done it before so i believe you lol :)

The first few times I did it, I thought it sounded a little skimpy too. I overdosed on the thermal grease. It worked, but I did it a few more times, and each time decreased the amount to the amount I described, and found the temperatures to really level off a couple degrees lower.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
The first few times I did it, I thought it sounded a little skimpy too. I overdosed on the thermal grease. It worked, but I did it a few more times, and each time decreased the amount to the amount I described, and found the temperatures to really level off a couple degrees lower.

Ryan

awesome.. thanks for the help.. now to decide on a good heatsink.......

too much thermal compound is a pretty good deal less effective than using the proper amount. ive seen my temps drop 5º C just from reapplying thermal grease properly

I think 1 1/2 is too much paste, the syringe usually puts too much on, but I try for about 3/4 of a grain.

Also you want the alcohol to be 90%+ strength. Isopropyll is the best stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom