Applications/Games vs CPU Cores

I tested BF3 and Skyrim on my 2500k and the most of the CPU was used is 52%. That's only about half the CPU that is spread across 4 cores. 50% is 100% on only 2 cores and that was with the CPU at stock. The 52% was on BF3. Skyrim was less than 40%. On my 3960x I bet it would be less than 20% usage with these games fully maxed out.

Yeah I just read an article on Toms Hardware where he disabled the other cores then enabled etc and got an increase, everything was with max settings and a 7970 that was overclocked I believe.

When I did my test I had a 580 and the 2500k both stock. I used max settings at 2048x1152 res on both BF3 and Skyrim. Skyrim was completely modded out with a load of high res texture mods, uGrid + INI enhancements, ect. Then again, I don't exactly trust a lot of Tom's reviews or information.

When I did my test I had a 580 and the 2500k both stock. I used max settings at 2048x1152 res on both BF3 and Skyrim. Skyrim was completely modded out with a load of high res texture mods, uGrid + INI enhancements, ect. Then again, I don't exactly trust a lot of Tom's reviews or information.

Just because it's only at 50%, Does that necessarily mean that it's only capable of using 2? Seems more like it's all it needs. They disabled all but 2 ran it got lets say avg 50 fps, then enabled 4 got 60 etc. (not exact numbers) but it was increased.

Can't find the article or i'd link it.

At 50% on a quad core that is like around half use of each core. Meaning it can't fully utilize all four cores properly. Just certain threads are being prioritized to run on a separate core just can't fully utilize all the power. A stock 3960x has kind of a lower clock speed so increasing to 4 cores would show improvement but most of that would be from background tasks having more cores to run on and more room for the game. Hard to explain how it works really.

At 50% on a quad core that is like around half use of each core. Meaning it can't fully utilize all four cores properly. Just certain threads are being prioritized to run on a separate core just can't fully utilize all the power. A stock 3960x has kind of a lower clock speed so increasing to 4 cores would show improvement but most of that would be from background tasks having more cores to run on and more room for the game. Hard to explain how it works really.

So all in all, an i3 with a high clock speed can run any game just as good as any other processor out at the moment as long as your not doing a whole bunch of other things at the same time. I wan't to try streaming which I've heard is very CPU intensive so when I decide to upgrade I guess I should get an i5 at least. Guessing even an i7 would help a lot with streaming with the HT.

PP Check out my thread in Gaming Section, curious of your opinion on it.

Last edited:
Streaming honestly is more dependent on your internet connection honestly. Considering I can record with FRAPS full 30fps 1080p video with a 2500k and GTX 465 both stock I would hope another i5 could stream easier lol. No, HT wouldn't really help. It's not so much threads but rather horsepower.
You are correct though, an Ivy Bridge i3 stock would handle any game just fine. 2 years ago I did a test comparing an OCed 940BE to an OCed i3 530 (first gen P55 platform) and the i3 outgamed and almost completely outclassed the Phenom 2 quad. I think I already mentioned this in another thread of yours though.

Back
Top Bottom