Anyone heard of Maingear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphoo

Solid State Member
So I'm looking for a new laptop because I haven't had a computer for about a year and a half and I'm sick of not having a computer..even though it is nice to fall asleep easily without distractions..anyones I'm looking to custom build a laptop but I'm not sure who to trust. I ran across MainGear and they seem pretty promising ..maybe a bit over priced tho, what do you guys think? Is it over priced for what they're offering or is it just right?

I'm going to use it mostly for designing with the Adobe programs so I want it to run fast with great graphics and colors..also I hope it doesn't overheat on me.
And glossy or matte screen?
i5 or i7?
I'm looking for a really good laptop within my budget..I'm willing to push 1200 but less would be great.
I'm also concern about the flexibility, I wonder if it would be possible for more to put in another hard drive and possible memory in the future?
I'm not exactly sure what to get, I want less mainstream opinions like your guy's cause everyone I've asked just tell me to buy a Mac but I'm a PC person.

Maingear Computers | High Performance Computers Customize Yours Now.
MAINGEAR ALT-15 (laptop-alt15-disc) $1,166.00
Primary Display:
15.6" HD+ 16:9 LED Display (1600 x 900) Matte Screen
Chassis:
ALT-15 Multimedia Laptop Chassis
Processor:
Intel® CoreT i5 2540M 2.6GHz/3.3GHz Turbo 3MB L3 Cache GT2
Memory:
8GB Patriot DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM (Dual Channel)
Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator:
NVIDIA® GeForceT GT 540M 1GB with Optimus Technology
Hard Drive Bay One:
500GB Seagate 7200 RPM SATA 2.5"
Optical Drive One:
8X DVD Dual Layer Burner
Memory Card Reader:
3-in-1 Integrated Memory Card Reader SD - MS/Pro - MMC
Network Adapter:
On-board Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless Network Adapter:
Integrated 802.11b/g/n Wireless - up to 300Mbps!
Audio:
Integrated High Definition Audio
Bluetooth:
Integrated Bluetooth Technology Module
Web Cam:
Integrated 2.0MP Webcam
Primary Battery:
Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (6 cells)
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Angelic Service Warranty:
Lifetime Angelic Service Labor and Phone Support with 1 Year Hardware Warranty

Im not too sure what the conversion rate is at ATM, but that does seem just a little above average for the spec, not by too much tho. you could build a desktop version at a snip of the price tho! (im a hater of laptops) lol

I prefer desktop too but I need it to be portable...yeah I plan to stay with that size memory and ram if I do get that but I might just get a lower memory to save money and add more later on...I just want to make sure I'm not over paying for what the specs are

Is there a big difference between name brands and generic parts? (sorry I'm not that familiar with computer parts until now when I'm starting to learn more about them)

how do I find out the overclocking rate?
or what about this? it's from sager, they seem to offer more for less ..it's pretty much the same name brands, is name brand, overclocking and how they put it together what sets companies apart? cause I'd rather get Sager if its the same or better performance but lower price...

Display15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display featuring 95% NTSC Color Gamut in Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080) [$95.00]
Video & Graphics Card2GB GDDR3 Nvidia GeForce GT 555M GPU with Optimus Technology / Embedded Intel HD Graphics
CPU Processor2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.00GHz) [$80.00]
Thermal CompoundStock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating SystemGenuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 1 X 4GB + 1 X 2GB [$25.00]
Primary Hard Disk Drive500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive [$15.00]
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network CardInternal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Primary BatterySmart Li-ION Battery Pack
Microsoft OfficeMicrosoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
WarrantySager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom