Anybody paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Anybody paranoid they're going to lose their information, so they double up on hard drives? But not to have an insane amount of space, solely to have TWO copies of everything so if one goes out you have a backup...

I have a 200 gig drive and thought about getting another one of similar size due to this. Perhaps an external one though, because it would be ideal to backup my girlfriend's college papers on there too (which doesn't take up much room) and it's convenience of being able to disconnect and connect it into a laptop would be ideal.

BTW - Do you need the OS installed on a slave drive or a USB external drive? Or does it just act like a 'big' USB jumpdrive?

If you have two SATA hard drives (same storage amount) you can set them up in RAID 1. One drive will mirror the other so you wouldn't have to back everything up manualy.

no you dont need an OS on a slave drive... and yes, i double everything up manually.. everything important that is.

You have to have them both on the same cable.

And I wasn't paranoid, and I just lost everything. The only thing that I didn't have backed up are several skins that I made for GTR. The odd thing is I'm more annoyed about not being able to use my PC more than losing around a hundred hours of work.

Anyway the really important information I back up on my Yahoo mail.

if it is just your gf's college paper (which means small amount of data and not a daily basis) I would suggest to burn it on a CD or DVD rewritable.

GuitarFreak1857 said:
I'd go with an external. how much space are we talking? a whole mirror or just some files?

I'd back up my music/music video collection, which is at 12 gigs now and generally gains about 1.5 gigs a week (assuming I continue the same downloading pattern in the future).

Right now she backs up everything on her USB jumpdrive I gave her... However she's got about 10 gig of pictures and her own music.

I figured a nice 80 gig would suit... because she downloads like 5 songs a week, so her "portion" of it wouldn't gain as much as mine......

I have a 20 gig IBM drive that I have laying around, it's old, but I may use it for the time being just for reassurance until I can get my car fixed and see where I am financially as far as able to buy new hard drives...... I'd love an external one though, it'd be so much easier for both of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom