Another ram question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
Ok here's my question. I'm looking to upgrade my ram and i need to know what my PC can support. I can tell you my motherboard specs if you need them but here's the ram i got in there now.

2 (256) sticks of pc2300. I think it's DDR 233 or 266 or something.

I just want to know if i can get pc 3200 ram.

DOes the DDR have to match? Like if i wanted to get DDR 400 ram would i be able to do it?

I've heard alot of different things from my freinds so any help would be appreciated.

Ok well i pretty much get where i stand. I found my motherboard website and it seems i can only have pc2700. Is it even worth do spend 140 bucks in a GIG of pc 2700 ram or should i just put it towards a new pc ?

PC3200 RAM will work fine, it will just be underclocked to PC2700 speeds. So get that, for 1, it is cheaper, and second, when you build the new system you can transfer it over...

My friend says that you can burn it out by underclocking it to 2700? true or not? He said that running a pc3200 ram chip in a MB that can only support up to 2700 will ruin the ram? Wouldn't it just clock the ram down to 2700? If it does then it solves my problem,.

IBM/PS1 said:
My friend says that you can burn it out by underclocking it to 2700? true or not? He said that running a pc3200 ram chip in a MB that can only support up to 2700 will ruin the ram? Wouldn't it just clock the ram down to 2700? If it does then it solves my problem,.

Nope your friend doesnt know what he is talking about. I have ran ram at lower speeds than it was rated many times.

Infact, if you look at the SPD tables on most PC3200 ram, you have settings for PC2700 and PC2100

EDIT: If you look at the bottom right corner, you can see the SPD table for my ram with both PC3200 and PC2700 settings.

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=valueram4rq.jpg

Don't pay attention to the rest of the picture though, it will confuse you.

IBM/PS1 said:
Yeah man, no worries. Tell your friend he is WRONG,

If my mobo has Dual Channel Technology, and in the 1st and 3rd slots i have Rosewill brand RAM, and if i put Corsair or some other brand in the 2nd and 4th slots, will my comp function properly? ive heard somewhere that u need same-brand ram in ur PC for it to run correctly.
Thanks,
ZS49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom