Another CPU Upgrade Post - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3
Default Another CPU Upgrade Post

Hi

I currently have the Intel MB, D875pbz, running a 2.8c Northwood 800Mhz 478 pin CPU. I want to upgrade. Here is the list of processors from Intel's site that my MB supports. Supported Processors

The only one I can find on Newegg is the 3.0E. I guess they are not selling the 3.2 and 3.4 anymore. So, I'm guessing that going from a 2.8C to a 3.0E wouldn't be much of an improvement. Is that correct?

Also, the extreme edition processors are also on the list, does that mean dual core?

Thanks!
__________________

TMoney is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
reggie_da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,567
Default

Don't upgrade your CPU. You won't notice much of a difference and the technology your using is outdated.
__________________

__________________

reggie_da_man is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
There and Back again
 
Nukem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,402
Default

Agreed... Still a usable system, but out dated. Save your money. Do some research. and wait a few months until the new batch of components come out, then build a new system that'll last a couple of years.
__________________



Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Nukem is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495
Default

Your processor is definitely one of the higher end ones, and so upgrading it would only waste your money.

Your much better off saving up so more money and upgrading when Conroe is released later this summer
Brtnboarder495 is offline  
Old 05-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3
Default

ok people. Thanks for the input. I'll hold off.

I was actually able to overclock to 2.9 last night, so that gives me a little more POWER!
TMoney is offline  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
ulater6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alaska
Posts: 757
Send a message via AIM to ulater6000 Send a message via Yahoo to ulater6000
Default

Yeah, I would wait for the intel conroe to come out this summer, and when it does, you will have to buy a new motherboard too.
__________________

__________________
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCENT, Cisco CCNA Routing & Switching
ulater6000 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.