amd athlonII x4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to robina_80
Default amd athlonII x4

how is this processor with games, i mean i know its the budget x4 from amd but can it still play games well, i mean i know games nowadays are more intense on the gpu so thats why i cant be bothered to get a really powerfull proc instead just get a really good gpu instead

Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: amd athlonII x4

The Athlon II X4 should very easily be able to handle any games paired with a good ATI or Nvidia card.
I just ordered a Athlon II X3 and I know fully well that this cpu will handle any games I might throw at it.

It's just a matter pairing with right mobo and gpu to get best performance.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: amd athlonII x4

If you want a CPU for gaming.
A Phenom II X2 outperforms all Athlons for most games. Athlon II X2, X3, X4

The only games the Phenom II X2 might lose to the Athlon II X3 or X4 in is stuff like GTA IV that are CPU heavy.
Even so, you usually have good odds of unlocking a Phenom II X2 to a Phenom II X4, and with the right motherboard you're almost guaranteed at least a Phenom II X3.
If your objective is gaming, I'd go with a Phenom II.
If your objective is to just have an all around good computer on a budget...
Go Athlon.
Then again, the FPS difference between an Athlon II X2 240 and Phenom II X4 955 with the same graphics card would only be like 10 FPS max.
And saving $100 by going with the Athlon would enable you to buy a better graphics card, thus defeating the Phenom II X4 955 in gaming.

It's really just a matter of what fits your budget + what you want to do with your computer.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Closed Thread