AMD 64 bit Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker

In Runtime
If I'm getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, do I need to get XP Professional 64 to take advantage of the 64 bit, or will regular XP Pro be able to handle AMD 64? I heard from someone that it will only run as a 32 bit with XP Pro.

you do not have to get xp64

regular xp runs fine on amd 64's, but, it does not take full advantage (though, there really isn't any programs out there right now taking full advantage)

you can run xp64 if you want, but i have had many problems with drivers as well other people i know.

there are driver problems with XP 64.

XP 64 doesnt have enough program and driver support yet. You may get a little bit of a performance boost but its not worth it if the programs and drivers cant take advantage of it. I would stick with 32 bit version of Windows for now.

agreed. Until programs begin trickling out with 64 bit support, then the 64 bit operating system is rendered useless. Unless of course you're trying to see how fast you can make your start menu pop up.

Ryan

don't buy xp 64, its just waste of money. just buy a xp pro, it will run much better and more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom