Amd 64 3700+ 754pin 1MB L2cache - CG stepping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming<>demon

In Runtime
I just purchased a new cpu, and need some help - its a

Amd 64 3700+ 754pin 1MB L2 cache

it says in the description that it uses "CG stepping" - i have no idea with this, and please people give me some info if it is ok or not.

Also, is it very complicated to change your cpu over to another, I have never done it before, and maybe someone could help me out with some info? Thanks.

dreaming<>demon said:
it says in the description that it uses "CG stepping" - i have no idea with this, and please people give me some info if it is ok or not
that tells us it is a Newcastle core.
Newcastle's are the second core revision of Athlon 64 CPU's. a new core revision is an improved version of the previous core.

swapping out the CPU is easy, you just have to be careful not to bend the pins.
also, you need to make sure your motherboard is the right socket first.

you need to take off the heatsink, put on the new CPU, and put the heatsink back on (or put a new one on)
the most important things are: not to force the CPU in. the socket is called ZIF (Zero Insertion Force)
also, make sure the ehatsink is on properly. if it is not, the CPU might overheat.

Thankyou for your help :D I hope that Newcastle is OK ? I know of the winchester, Clawhammer, San Diego etc etc, just hoping that its not a bad performer.

I have 754 pin motherboard atm with a AMD sempron 64 2800+ 256KB L2 cache CPU . all i know is, Im over it :p

Newcastle's are descent. they are the better of the two cores at 130nm (the other is the Clawhammer, which is the first core)
the Winchester moves to 90nm but doesn't clock nearly as highly as Venices/San Diegos

nah thats fine, quite decent price actually.

Before everyone goes "thats so overpriced" its in Australian Dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom