Not open for further replies.

rkf76

My Swag is on!
I have a rig that consists of the following:

Mobo Abit AN-M2
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1Ghz
HD Seagate 7200.10 250GB/Maxtor DM +9 160GB/WD 500gb external
Optical Drive Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD burner
RAM G.Skill DDR2 800 Dual channel 2GB (2 x 1GB)
GPU MSI X800XT
Audio AudioTrak Prodigy HD2
Speakers Insignia NS-B2111
Receiver JVC UX-G70
PSU Hiper Type-R 580 watts
Case Lian Li PC-7SB w/Window
Monitor Lenovo L222

I have an MSI HD 4830 OC scheduled to arrive on monday. My 12v rail on my existing PSU is rated up to 20a. Is that going to be ok to run that 4830?

It should be just fine. I had one of those PSUs and it was great. It has died but I don't blame it, I put it through a lot.
I hope so, it's been great so far. I just don't want to kill by asking it to do more than it's capable of. I could have sworn I read somewhere that I need a 12v rail capable of putting out 35a to run this card. I just don't remember for sure if that's the case or where I read that at:confused:

couldn't find anything on the required amp input either. Does your existing x800xt gpu have a 6-pin plug like your new card?

I'd think you'd be fine but I'm not the gpu expert I once was. 20A might sound a little light but honestly you're not running a ton of stuff off of it so I think it'll work out okay.

couldn't find anything on the required amp input either. Does your existing x800xt gpu have a 6-pin plug like your new card?
Nope, it gets it's power from the PCIe slot itself.

I'm gonna keep searching until I find out for sure cause it's gonna bug me until I do. If you find anything by chance, let me know.

ernaehrung004.gif

more than enough.

btw that PSU has dual rails on the 12V for future reference. 20+18 = ~35 ish (my math bad? :p)

Label.JPG

Upon looking for reviews, nothing really is said about amperage. So, I'm assuming that since it only consumes about 180W at full load, the 20A on your power supply should be sufficient.

just for viewing pleasure:
MSI Computer R4830-T2D512-OC PCSTATS Review - AMD Radeon HD 4830 Core Technology

chris
I haven't been able to to find anything more than someone on a forum saying "the card requires a 12v rail w/28amps" but does not specify how/why he concluded that.

Thank for you looking into it, any and all help I could get on this is appreciated.

Nope, no 4830 there

more than enough.

btw that PSU has dual rails on the 12V for future reference. 20+18 = ~35 ish (my math bad? :p)

Label.JPG
True story! I wasn't quite sure how that worked but you pretty much confirmed that when/if the amperage load is more than the first rail can handle it'll look to the second rail for additional power. Nice!

Thanks man, I can rest easy now:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom