Are all of these parts compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so. Why Socket A? You should probably think about upgrading to a Socket 939 soon. You could get a good 939 board for under $100. Otherwise I think the components are compatible.

Yeah, I was thinking about the socket upgrade, but I already have that A board. This is just a money issue. I don't want to shell out an extra $200 or so ontop of what I'm already spending.

($200 = board + new processor)

I wasn't really that happy with the quality of W.D. drives in builds for other people, but everyone here seems to stand by them... I will keep to Seagate for myself for now.

It just occured to me that I might experience some bottleneck. I'm using a AMD 2600/333 Athlon XP processor, it usually clocks in around 1.9-2 ghz. Will I feel some drainage? I've really never experienced bottleneck before, what can I expect? I'm using a 9600 atm, so will I still see a dramatic performance increase?

Edit: Also, can I master/slave that SATA drive with my current EIDE HD?

There isn't really a 'bottleneck' with the CPU and GPU but, (finds better words as I was told of for using that word.) There comes a point where you can add a super powerful card with your CPU, and it will perform the same as say the X800gto. But to stop this from happening you can run it on higher settings and resolution.

(Good example, I was playing GT Legends the other day and I had it on medium settings and I was getting around 50fps, I then realised and put it on the highest settings and the FPS were around 48ish. I then overclocked by ~20% and I am now getting ~60 :D )

You select on the IDE hdd what you want it to be, master or slave. You don't really have master and slave on SATA, as you only have one cable per drive. The board may have master and slave written next to the sata ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom