are all the SATA cables compatible with first generation SATA motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello,

i was planning to get a SATA drive but wanted to ensure that the drive was compatible with my motherboard.

do all the SATA cables (old and new) have a standard interface and the newer ones (SATA 300 Mbps) are backwards compatible with the older ones (SATA 150 Mbps)?

i guess i would have to buy a SATA power cable in addition to the SATA data cable, correct?

have the SATA power cable standards changed, would i be able to use a SATA power cable with my old motherboard (gigabyte 81875 ultra) from 2003?

The cable is just the cable. Like an IDE cable will work with various speeds of IDE drives.

Most newer 300MB/s drives do have backwards compatibility with the older 150MB/s interface. There is a jumper on these drives so you can set the speed.

If your PSU doesn't have the SATA power connector, you can purchase a molex-to-SATA power plug. The data cable can also be purchased if it didn't come with the motherboard.

No, the power standards have no changed. The power cable for the 150MB/s and the 300MB/s are the same.

thanks for the reply,

the IDE cables did change at one point. they used to be 20 wires and then changed to 40 wires.
i was wondering if such a change had occured with SATA cables as well or are the cables and connectors consistent since they first arrivedi n 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom