AGP vs PCI-E vs PCI-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigy

In Runtime
OK, firstly

are pci-e graphics cards DEFINATLY superior to AGP graphics cards?

so should i pay an extra 40 bucks for a mobo w/ a pci-e slot?

ALSO

on newegg they have pci-e x16 adn pci-e x1 slots?

are the x16 slots i'd use for a graphcis card and what d othe x1 slots do?

thank

PCI-E is the future and is what most people would reccommend. I think both of the slots are for graphics cards, some may only fit in the x1 slot and some may only fit in the x16 slot. Don't quote me on that though as I'm not 100% certain.

OK thank you.

if anyone can clarify the difference between x16 and x1 that'd be great, but donkey kong, what you said sounds about right, although im not too sure why a mobo would have a x16 AND a x1 slot.

are the pci-e slots compatible with other pci cards or just graphics?

nigy said:
OK thank you.

if anyone can clarify the difference between x16 and x1 that'd be great, but donkey kong, what you said sounds about right, although im not too sure why a mobo would have a x16 AND a x1 slot.

are the pci-e slots compatible with other pci cards or just graphics?

There will also be regular PCI slots for other PCI devices.

PCI devices will not fit in PCIe slots.

PCI-E 16 is 16 lanes, compared to PCI-E 1 being 1 lane. More lanes, more speeds.

PCI-E slots are only compatable with PCI-E cards (Only graphics cards really at the time)

Ok Thank you very much, i get it.

so its mostly for the future that i would want pci-e over agp...

so its mostly for the future that i would want pci-e over agp...
yeah don't fug up like I did and think AGP would be fine....technically it IS fine, but for me I want the absolute best for overclocking and none of the nf3 boards (the only ones for socket 939 CPUs and have an AGP port) are very good for overclocking, so that's why I'm currently biting the bullet, selling my 6800GT AGP and just bought the PCI-E version today and my nf4 Ultra-D arrived today as well :D

better to just go PCI-E now and get it over with

Dude, Nubius, I wanna see what your overclocks are with your new hardware, lol. Probably 3GHz+ I bet :)

Dude, Nubius, I wanna see what your overclocks are with your new hardware, lol. Probably 3GHz+ I bet
Nah, even though the nf3 Ultra-D board from DFI was flakey as all hell I'm pretty sure my venices max is around 2.575GHz like it says in my sig unfortunately =/

Trust me I'm PRAYING that MAYBE...just MAYBE with the nf4 Ultra-D I'll be able to get more out of it, but I'm not getting my hopes up honestly.

I guess I'll have to be content with 2.6GHz with my ram running 260-270MHz......basically after this I won't be upgrading for quite some time.

danggggg nubius must have watercooling to OC that high
I do have watercooling, but yeah, like I said I think this particular venices week (week 18) just doesn't want to clock very high...I mean it is a 600MHz+/- overclock and all, so that's nothing to laugh at, but considering the clocks on the earlier venices I've seen with air reaching upwards of 2.8GHz+ I think it's pretty crappy....oh well nothing I can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom