AGP Related Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlander

Beta member
This is a noob question but I dunno so I'ma ask it. If you have an 8X AGP card, but a 4X AGP Board, will it work?

Also, this goes right along with this question. I'm building a PC for my roommate and I had him get a ASUS P4S800D-X board, and an Intel 2.4GHZ Socket 478 533FSB chip. This is where I run into the problem, the board supports HT, but the cpu isn't a HT chip, so when I assembled it all it naturally didn't work. Is the fact that it's a HT board and a non-HT chip my problem? When I hit the power button fans come on, but nothing else happens, no sounds, none of that crap.

The thing is I kinda want a quick fix so he will stop using my computer! and there's a board at the local CompUSA that supports 4X, the ASUS board I have atm supports 8X AGP, but like I say, it's not working.

Sorry, I kinda rambled all over the place but there you go, help please! :D

I had the same question, but I didn't receive an answer. I think alot of cards have backwards compat. and they will run @ 4x.

What kind of card do you have, I know my radeon 9550 can be clocked down to 4x instead of 8x. It will just run slower, but it should work if you stick it in there!

Yea the 8x has a higher bandwidth than 4x, but an 8x card will still work on a 4x board.

to shadow I have the ATI 9500.

and to locki, then do you have any ideas? cause I'm fresh out. Right now it's set up as:

Mother Board: ASUS P4S800D-X
Ram: Kingmax DDR 400 (PC3200)
CPU: Intel P4 2.4GHZ Prescott 533FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478
Video Card: ATI 9500 Pro

Like I said, the fans come on, but nothing happens, at first I thought my video card might've been fubar because I could hear the HD spin up (then I realized it would anyway), so I put in an old pos 16mb card, still nothing. I dunno, I'm not very well versed in all the problems with MB's, I've built 3 comps so far and up to this point they all magically worked when I hit the power button, this has been my only problem and I'm clueless as to what may be causing it. Could the MB be bad?

did you plug in all of the power cables? That's a common symptom of people that forget to plug in both the 20-pin ATX power connector and the 4 pin connector(usually closer to the processor).

Ryan

yeah it was the 4 pin that got me, I'd never had a mobo that had one of those. I feel like an idiot.

thanks dude. she booted up just slicker than a whistle after I plugged that in :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom