Advice on replacing GPU and PSU - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: philippines
Posts: 4
Default Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

Current specs:
I3-4160
8gb ram
Gtx 1050ti
2x hdds
3x rgb fans
Corsair VS450

I want to upgrade my gpu to Strix RX580 8gb but Im wondering if my corsair vs450 handle it with my current specs (of course the gpu will be rx580)

I dont trust online watt computation since the last time I used it, they put my 1050ti power draw to 175 watts. So if my corsair vs450 can handle the rx580, i may not replace my psu anytime soon.

Note: ill swap my 1050ti to rx580. If it cant handle it, maybe ill look for a used psus from some shops here in my country (philippines). Psu's here are very expensive tbh, thus the reason I am scouting for used psu's. I also looked up on a shop here where they sell psu's and I saw a Antec Earthwatts 650ea Green 80+ bronze. Is that a good psu or better than my corsair?
__________________

__________________
kingvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 29,562
Default Re: Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

You're correct, the 1050ti only draws 75W. The RX580 on the other hand will draw around 235W to 250W during peak gaming. Average load between that and the i3 would be around 310W max so theoretically the VS450 would handle it, and according to a review I just looked at be at peak efficiency in that range.

I don't know the cost differences in your country, but if PSUs are expensive it might be a more viable option to get a 1060 6GB which will take 100W less at load than the 580 and not require a PSU upgrade. That depends on the cost difference between the 580 and 1060 6GB vs the cost of a new PSU. I would not buy a used PSU.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: philippines
Posts: 4
Default Re: Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You're correct, the 1050ti only draws 75W. The RX580 on the other hand will draw around 235W to 250W during peak gaming. Average load between that and the i3 would be around 310W max so theoretically the VS450 would handle it, and according to a review I just looked at be at peak efficiency in that range.

I don't know the cost differences in your country, but if PSUs are expensive it might be a more viable option to get a 1060 6GB which will take 100W less at load than the 580 and not require a PSU upgrade. That depends on the cost difference between the 580 and 1060 6GB vs the cost of a new PSU. I would not buy a used PSU.
Thanks for your info! Am I right ? 235+310 is over 450 right? How can it handle that? (I'm planning to upgrade psu since my mother is going to gift me a 2600x and b450m on my graduation )
__________________
kingvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 29,562
Default Re: Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

Quote:
Average load between that and the i3 would be around 310W max
310W would be average max load for full system, the GPU itself draws between 235W and 250.

Even with the 2600x the 1060 6GB would still be a more viable option if it's within budget compared to the 580. Reason being it's max peak draw is 135W and that combined with a 2600x would still be well within margins that the VS 450 is capable of handling.
If you intend to still purchase the 580 you will definitely need a better PSU with the 2600x.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: philippines
Posts: 4
Default Re: Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

Thank you. But what if I still dont upgrade my cpu since its still a long time (ill graduate in April next yr) should I still keep my vs450?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
310W would be average max load for full system, the GPU itself draws between 235W and 250.

Even with the 2600x the 1060 6GB would still be a more viable option if it's within budget compared to the 580. Reason being it's max peak draw is 135W and that combined with a 2600x would still be well within margins that the VS 450 is capable of handling.
If you intend to still purchase the 580 you will definitely need a better PSU with the 2600x.
__________________
kingvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 29,562
Default Re: Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

You think you'll be able to upgrade it then? If not then I'd take care of it now or try to go with a 1060 instead.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: philippines
Posts: 4
Default Re: Advice on replacing GPU and PSU

If budget permits me since I will only be able to get my new mobo and cpu as a gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You think you'll be able to upgrade it then? If not then I'd take care of it now or try to go with a 1060 instead.
__________________

__________________
kingvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing mobo need advice suggestions Phanto System Upgrades 1 05-23-2013 08:51 AM
Replacing cpu, motherboard, and gpu Dazedy System Upgrades 8 07-14-2011 01:15 PM
Advice on Replacing Fan and Adding a Fan fairfieldfalconsfan Cooling 4 04-28-2011 09:31 PM
Replacing Dell PSU VishKapish System Upgrades 1 08-04-2010 09:10 PM
I need some advice replacing a graphics card nicky System Upgrades 5 05-07-2010 01:30 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.