Advice for PSU selection w/ future SLI in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFeetZ

Baseband Member
Hi all. After upgrading a number of friends pc's Ive now got the bug and have started to upgrade myself. I will be building a new system with the i7 920, X58 Mobo (EVGA or GIGA UD4P), 6GB DDR3 and will starting with a single EVGA GTX260 55nm (got a killer deal for $165!). I will be reusing 2 raptor 150gb in RAID 0, 1 Samsung 1tb, and 1 Samsung CD/DVDR along with my Lian Li Case. My current PSU is a Seasonic S12 600W that I will be moving over to another PC. So my question is what is a proper PSU?

Keeping in mind that I plan on moving to 2 - 260's in SLI or stepping up to a 295 in a couple months, I've narrowed my selection (in order) to:

1. PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
2. Corsair 850TX
3. PC Power & Cooling PPCT860
4. Silverstone OP1000E 1000 Watt
5. Corsair 1000HX

Reading here and from other sources, it seems that a 1000w is likely overkill. I also have learned that that a single GTX295 would run fine on the PCP&C 750. What I dont know is will 2 - 260's in SLI also run fine on the PCP&C 750? or will I need to go up to the corsair 850 or PCP&C 860?

Thanks in advance for your input. id also love to hear from peeps that currently are running 260's in SLI to get their input as well.

cheers

The corsair 850TX will last you years of upgrades...

Thanks for the quick reply!

Any chance you know if the TX850 is rated at a peek of 850 or is that a continuous 850? Im thinking of how some lesser PSU makers market their PSU's with the Max rating, under specific conditions. This tends not to be a true measure of their unit. I have had PCP&C units before and have been very satisfied. I do like that corsair's beefy 70amp single rail!

Speak of the devil... Fed Ex just delivered my 260!

thanks all for your inputs.. I was really hoping to get the PCP&C 860, but with the quality and price of the corsair 850 ($95 after rebates and coupon) Im gonna go that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom