Advice on CPU and motherboard - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Cheers again for that.

The only thing that bothers me is the board is MicroATX and the board that i have at the moment is ATX. Would that be easy to fit in or will i have to look for an ATX board?

Will keep the PSU and try that if i get the MB Bundle.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I was having a look on the net and saw this site to buy the MB, Memory and CPU and wondered if these match ok:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket 939 (Venice) CPU -Retail Box- £84.95
(£99.82) £84.95

Corsair Value Select 1024Mb DDR400 KIT (2x 512Mb) Memory £49.95
(£58.69) £49.95

GigaByte K8NSC S939, AGP, GBLan, 5.1Snd, ATX £39.95

Total about £205

Might need a new PSU though but will try that when i get there.

The only thing i was looking for a 3Ghz CPU but they are not quite in my price range at the moment unless i spend a bit more to get the better chip as should last a few years.

These are from Eclipse Computers

I could not see any 3Ghz Athlon Chips there but the oen above should be fast enough.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

The looks good - but as i said before, amd processors currently do more per cycle than intel processors. The 3200 is the equivilent of a 3.2Ghz, the 3500 is the equivilent of 3.5ghz etc
AMD 3000+
2gb RAM
X800 PCI-e
80gb + 250gb WD HDDs
X-FI Xtreme Music
Old 05-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ahh, Right i forgot about that.

Would i need a heatsink fan on the motherboard ir will the MB already have this when i buy This?

I thought that this is a good system to get but not seure of Eclipse but a guy at work recommended them and the prices are good so will try that.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey Guys

I have bought the parts that i stated a couple of posts ago. The only change that i made is i ordered an higher CPU which is:

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500+ 939pin 512Kb L2 Cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included.

Am getting it from Ebuyer as could not register from Eclipse for some reason but i have bought other things from ebuyer and have had no problems.

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys gave me. This is the first time i am actually building a machine myself (If you can call it that as only the MB, Memory and CPU) but will see how it goes.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's me again.

guess what!!!

I got my hardware today and have just finished building it and am using it to type this.

There are only a couple of things that i have not got correct and that is the Lights on the front of the computer are not on so i will have to check out the connections there.

The other thing was i changed the ports to the one the motherboard came with and forgot to take of the blanking plate for the Network port (But have installed the drivers) so i get the icon in the taskbar saying Local Area Connection 2 unplugged. Will take out my network card and use the one on the motherboard i think.

It is a lot faster than my old one but i have not installed everything to test it out yet.

Thanks again for the responses.

Closed Thread