Advice on CPU and motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekker

Solid State Member
I recently had a problem with my machine and narrowed it down to the CPU or Motherboard and was wanting to upgrade anyway.

My specs are:

Windows XP Pro
Athalon Xp2000+ 1.6 Mhz Processor
A73333 Motherboard.
768 Mb RAM
80 GB HD (i think IDE)
Gforce FX 5500 (Just bought last week)
2 NEC DVD WRITER's (4551 and previous one)
4Mb Broadband (telewest)

I do not play big Games or graphics just for the net and email and to play FM 2006.

I was wanting to know what would be the best MB and CPU to get. I would prefer to get something in the range of 3Mhz pc or so.

The RAM i have for the current MB is 1 256MB PC2100 and 1 512MB PC2100 if there was one out there that can use that memory if not will use the recomended for that Motherboard.

i think you meant ghz and thats not all that matters , anyway a budget will be nice you know , youll need new ram too and maybe psu aswell , whats your psu? brand/model

Oops yes i meant Ghz.

The budget would be about £150 ish budget, the PSU that i have is a Mercury 300W which was a replacement for one i cannot remember.

I would go up to £200 but seen as i have already got everything except the MB, Memory and CPU (and maybe PSU) from my old machine.

Also i have a windows XP which ran great on my old system but if i get a new Motherboard will i still be able to run it on the new one or do i have to buy a new copy of windows XP as i read somewhere that microsoft consider buying a new MB is like getting a new PC.

Trekker

Intel for programs and multi-taking
AMD for gaming

Pick one, then we will figure out the certain chip, then that will decide on a good motherboard to get, all inside your budget.

~Joe

Well the computer will be mostly used for multi tasking but i would like to play some games on it that have a lot of graphics so i would prefer to get a AMD Athalon.

I have heard that an Athalon is faster than the pentium but speed is not always a factor in these things.

Trekker

You said initially that you weren't into graphically intensive games, but a fast CPU will help with the number crunching in FM so i would suggest and Intel processor. You will probably have to purchase more RAM as well but there are some good bundles you can get (which have RAM, Processor and Motherboard). Have a look at www.komplett.co.uk or www.ebuyer.com for bundles.

Thanks for the reply IfYouHaveToAsk

I did not know that there was Bundles like this i thought that you had to get then seperately.

I thought that this one looked good (Link attached).

Ebuyer Motherboard Bundle

But not completely sure.

Will have to buy the RAM though (looks like)

Are all the motherboard ports etc in the same place so that it is easy to install?

Also does anyone know the answer about installing my copy of windows XP that i used on my old system on a new motherboard as i asked in one of my previous posts?

yes that bundle is good, especially since its AGP and you can use your graphics card in it.

buy that with this memory

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/52057

and you'll have a system that flies for FM and general browsing and emailing.

Also with that you have a good base so if you wanted to try some more graphically demanding games you could just spend £90 on this graphics card (your current card wont be too powerful in recent games)

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/109723/rb/19431175906

its not top of the range but it will cope with most games happily.

Regarding the motherboard issue, read this site

http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

especially the bit at the bottom where it says you dont need to reinstall windows if you uninstall all devices before hand.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like a good setup and might just go for this.

Just a couple of points of note:

1. There are 4 USB ports on the rear and 2 in the front of the motherboard and my case has only 2 usb ports at the back and no spaces at the front. Although there is room to expand the back ones to 4. But the front ones could be a problem.

2. I presume that taking out the old motherboard is easy and just unclips out or something like that and all the connections for the ports are all the same.

The link for the installation of windows seems ok as i want to format the machine for 1st use anyway but the only problem could be with activation but should just be a call to microsoft (hopefully not).

The processing speec looks like 2.4Ghz which i wanted is 3Ghz but this seems fast enough for the budget that i have.

Just realised this is a Micro ATX and the board i have at the moment is ATX and want to get the same size board.

the motherboard will come with a back plate (called an Input/output shield) to fit in the back of the case. it will fit fine as long as your case is atx or micro atx standard.

where it indicates 2 usb ports for the front it basically means it has a socket on the motherboard which can connect to a wire in the case for front usb ports, but if you don't have them then you just don't plug it into anything.

regarding 2.4Ghz processor, AMD processors basically do more instructions per cycle so they can run at lower frequencies than intel processors. this means they run cooler and require lower voltages which is good :)

just unplug everything from your current motherboard and then remove the graphics card, RAM and any other cards you may have. then you need to unscrew the motherboard and remove the spacers in the case and re-align them for the screw holes on the new motherboard then screw that in.

One thing you might need is a new power supply.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/89518

That's £30 and would be perfect if your current one struggles, but give it a go first.

Finally if you wanted to save some cash then opt for 512mb ram, but make sure its a reputable brand, same goes with the power supply if you choose to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom