Advice on buying a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Beta member
Hi,

I am looking for some advice.

I am in the process of purchasing a laptop and trying to decide which one suits me best. I have planned to purchase a Dell.

Firstly I will describe my requirements. I am a college student who needs a laptop for wireless internet access, word processing, sql server, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets, email and a lot of project work. I also do some web design on the side, primarily .NET so will probably be using Visual studio. I would like the laptop to help me in final year and also be set up correctly for when I enter the business world.

Some personal wishes (hopes) include lightweight, powerful (Pentium or centrino processor), medium to large sized screens, fast, medium sized storage (30 – 40MB +), Bluetooth enabled, XP Professional, DVD rewriter, USB 2.0 etc.

I understand that I will have to perform a trade-off in my requirements but was hoping to get as many as possible in my laptop.

I was looking at the latitude and inspiron series and have wondered the benefits of each.

Also what is the norm widescreen or other and what does the future hold? A major issue I have is that my laptop would be future compatible and be aimed for the future and be able to adapt with changes in technology.

Could somebody give me a hand choosing a laptop or advice on what I should look out for, and which Dell may complement my needs best. I would appreciate it a great deal.

Thanks,
Niall

One major thing in the PC industry is the switch to 64 bit. Currently Intel mobile CPU's do not support 64 bit.

How much money do you have to spend on a laptop, personally I wouldnt recomend dell as they really do suck in every way possible (except marketing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom