Advice on buying a Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Advice on buying a Laptop

I am looking for some advice.

I am in the process of purchasing a laptop and trying to decide which one suits me best. I have planned to purchase a Dell.

Firstly I will describe my requirements. I am a college student who needs a laptop for wireless internet access, word processing, sql server, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets, email and a lot of project work. I also do some web design on the side, primarily .NET so will probably be using Visual studio. I would like the laptop to help me in final year and also be set up correctly for when I enter the business world.

Some personal wishes (hopes) include lightweight, powerful (Pentium or centrino processor), medium to large sized screens, fast, medium sized storage (30 – 40MB +), Bluetooth enabled, XP Professional, DVD rewriter, USB 2.0 etc.

I understand that I will have to perform a trade-off in my requirements but was hoping to get as many as possible in my laptop.

I was looking at the latitude and inspiron series and have wondered the benefits of each.

Also what is the norm widescreen or other and what does the future hold? A major issue I have is that my laptop would be future compatible and be aimed for the future and be able to adapt with changes in technology.

Could somebody give me a hand choosing a laptop or advice on what I should look out for, and which Dell may complement my needs best. I would appreciate it a great deal.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

One major thing in the PC industry is the switch to 64 bit. Currently Intel mobile CPU's do not support 64 bit.

How much money do you have to spend on a laptop, personally I wouldnt recomend dell as they really do suck in every way possible (except marketing)

Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for your reply. My maximum spending would be about €1600 (about $1900).
Old 09-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

My advice: customize this HP notebook
It'll be well under $1900 and come with everything you need. The Turion processor has all the same benefits of the Centrino, plus it's 64-bit, so you wouldn't have to worry about that holding you back.
Closed Thread