Adding video card, psu, fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

fork

Baseband Member
So yeah I have a compaq sr1130nx Athlon XP 3000, 512 pc3200
So I want to get a video card, 6600gt, but I only have the factory 250w power supply, so I want to upgrade to 350w.

But I have heard that compaq doesn't like to use regular atx power supplies, what is the deal? I've heard tey can fry my mobo.

Also I'd like to cut a hole in the case of my compaq for spite, and to add a fan, I'm guessing I can just plug it into a loose connector but it will run at full speed so I need a fan controller right? Or can I use a switch or just a variabe resistor or simple circuit. Thats just a guess. so yeah.

I would get a new mobo because I would like to get pci e, but it is socket A so I would never be able to upgrade, or buy a new cpu, which I can't afford all that right now.

Thanks in advance

Sell the PC to some random noob, get the money, save up a bit and build yourself a new rig...non of this pre-built crap:D

reggie_da_man said:
Sell the PC to some random noob, get the money, save up a bit and build yourself a new rig...non of this pre-built crap:D

haha :p .... sometimes the truth hurts......PRE-BUILT SUX ;)

well I know that would be the best solution but I don't really have enough dough right now and I need this computer for school all the time. I'm goin for mechanical engineering, I get tons of assignments and stuff online. Plus I'm not 100% sure I could build a complete machine myself.

But does anyone have an answer to my questions other than buy a new computer.

I'm guessing you have agp right now?
And are you able to open your case and understand some stuff? If you're able to check dimensions of the space for the psu, see what pin connector your motherboard is, etc., then post them and tell us what you find

PcMe said:
I'm guessing you have agp right now?
And are you able to open your case and understand some stuff? If you're able to check dimensions of the space for the psu, see what pin connector your motherboard is, etc., then post them and tell us what you find

The pc does have agp, when I get home I'll post pics of in side, the plug on the mobo and the dimensions of the psu

The power supply is 5 1/2 front to back 3 3/8 high 5 3/4 left to right

the plug has 20 pins

small0zk.jpg

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom