adding memory to Dell Dimension E310

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep_comp

Beta member
Hello all. I am new to this forum and this is the first time I am adding memory to one of my computers. I own a Dell Dimension E310 that is about 4 or 5 years old. I used Dell's website to find some recommendations as to what memory would work with my computer. I figured I would go for it and replace the 5MB of memory with 2x1GB of memory. Dell's website pointed me in the direction of:
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Model CM2X1024-6400

I figured I could find a better deal somewhere else than buying it directly from Dell and found myself on Newegg.com. The next thing I knew I found myself looking at a very similar product:
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Apparently, this latter model has a slightly better latency of 4-4-4-12 rather than 5-5-5-18

The next thing I knew I was trying to read up on latency and see if the 6400C4 model would work with my motherboard and my head started to spin. I guess my question is should I bother spending the extra money on the better memory or is it wasted with my computer/motherboard. Any other recommendations out there. Thank you for the help.

5MB of ram? you couldn't run **** with that... How did you come at that number? Unless it was a typo...

If it says 6400, it runs 6400. Latencies are not a big factor unless you overclock.

You can have a max of 2GB of DDR2, 400Mhz and 533Mhz (which means DDR2 800 or 1066)

Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill are all good manufacturers of ram, I used all three through my computing life. Never had a problem except to refurb some memory, but these things happen.

Thank you for your help. I meant 500MB of ram. That WAS a ridiculous number I posted.
What does overclock mean and when would you do it?

So you are recommending sticking with the 6400 rather than the 6400C4 RAM? Would the 6400C4 work with my computer but be a waste of money?

LOL, OK, so 500MB (512 in another words)

Overclocking is where you boost up the speed of your CPU, through BIOS. If you're not experienced, go to the Overclock forum and learn all you can about it until you try it. You can really wreck your computer doing it.

What price were the different Corsair ram?

I think the 6400C4 would work fine but for the price, I wouldnt buy it

These are pretty nice at $48.99
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Desktop Memory

Thanks again. That is a really good deal. Should I be concerned with the 1.9V that one reviewer warned about on the newegg website? Where can I go to find out more about my computer's motherboard?

Don't trust reviews on Newegg, search for reviews elsewhere, these are just people that don't know anything.

When I bought my netbook, someone was saying that the screen gets dirty with finger prints. Well you idiot, don't but your fingers on it?

motherboard info: Documentation (look at specs)

Heya,

Well my gf has this same computer and ive been looking to see how much it would cost to upgrade.

right now its a pentium 4 (3.0) ghz

she put in a radeon 9200 series card i guess a few years back.

Its been very difficult to find the specs on the mother board.

model# 0JC474 i believe its a LGA 775 socket.

everything in it is stock besides the card. I was wanting to upgrade to proly a duel core cpu and proly the video card again to utilize the pci e slot.. With that I would need to upgrade the psu..

however from what info i read it seems that u cant just slap any psu into a dell.

Not sure what you're asking, if you are looking for just memory or a total upgrade.

Memory would be pretty much the only halfway worthwhile upgrade...from what I can tell there isn't a pci-e x16 slot, and I doubt the motherboard could handle a newer CPU...not to mention the PSU couldn't handle a newer GPU. At that point you're looking for a new computer.

EDIT: Scratch that, maybe it has a PCI-E x16 slot, but it hardly matters since you'd have to upgrade the PSU to get something decent.

thanks for the info.. Sry about the lack of clarity in my previous post.. (distractions :D)

I kinda figured the only thing worth upgrading on it was the ram.. I was trying to talk her into letting me just build her a new computer. I was already planning on building myself a new one. Ill proly just end up building us 2 new comps.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom