Adding a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
Lets see if I can word this properly without sounding like a tool.

I just installed a 250gb HD into my system for a total of 750gb

My 500gb drive is almost full. Is there a way that I can get the computer to just 'move' over to the empty drive when the 500 fills up?

I've never had more than one hard drive in a computer before so I'm not really sure of the best way to set it up. I usually just buy a double sized drive when I fill them up. I decided I didn't want to spend any more money on this system and put in my previous drive instead.

I'm using Windows 7

Thanks

When you add a new drive in, you do not simply add GB. Yes, you have X room, but you will have 2 seperate drives in Computer.

You can move files yourself. Copy and paste.

typically, when we have a machine with two drives for a personal computer, we will designate one drive for the OS and the other for user data. you'll want to attach the hard drives to different cables inside the pc as to keep their activity on separate channels. also, its smart to move your page file over the user data drive; unless your thrashing it with many downloads.

anyways it just a matter of setting up a good organized folder structure on the new drive and reconfiguring default save locations for your apps to the new drive.

you could use folder redirection to have your my docs and desktop save data on the new drive. this is configured in group policy editor.

just an addition. You don't want your OS drive to be full. Move your files and fill up all 250 fb of your secondary. Windows uses HD space for file paging. Filling it would slow your PC.

So say if I wanted to move my iTunes library over to the new drive, I just move it and iTunes will still work? I don't need to redirect anything?

I'm sure I don't have to say it but I'm not a Windows person. I built this computer a few years ago to play games and it has more or less become my media PC for music/movies/games. There's nothing else on here.

So when you say things like "page file" I kind of know what you're talking about, but the hell if I know what to do with it rofl.

What kind of files can I move without hacking up the integrity of the system? What kind of files should I leave on the boot drive?

Windows uses a certain amount of your hard drive space as if it were RAM. This is file paging. Typically its somewhere in the ballpark of 3-4GB. Moving music, video and pictures to the secondary drive will help. Itunes can find them there as long as you direct itunes there. (I have never used Itunes so Im not sure where it looks for media by default.) Moving just your media should give you enough space on your primary. Just avoid any operating system files.

Move your personal data to your new drive. Movies, music, documents, pictures, etc. Keep your games and any Windows files on the original.

Alright thanks for the info. I'll see what I can come up with. Looks like most of the issues I could have are going to be with iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom