Added RAM, no performance increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
I just added 2 1 gig sticks of Ram (to benefit my 2 1 gig sticks of ram already in there) DDR2 ram, not sure the time/speed of them, I do know it was a pretty nasty install (what with my 260 gtx gfx card going in yesterday, I didnt have much room to operate), but I fired the computer up (win vista 32bit), got the heck scared out of me (monitor had come unplugged from the back, thought I fried my new card), got everything working right, did an update the performance score of my computer, the first result was my RAM score went from 5.5->5.1, then I ran the score again, and it went back to 5.5. so I thought, dud memory, went into my system, it says I have 4 gigs of RAM installed, so the cards are working right, is there any reason I wouldnt get a performance increase? (I did notice that it judged RAM on operations/second, so would giving it more ram not effect the score?)

I was wondering what a quick diagnosis might be, maybe they are out of time? I got the ram through newegg, suggest ram for my PC, its corsair..... Id have to get the box for more info, but im not sure what time the Ram currently in my computer is set at, so it wouldnt do much good,

question: how do I test the timing of my Ram, how do I adjust it, and what are good settings for cheap-o ram to be at (not looking to overclock)

thanks alot

-Drew

what are good settings for cheap-o ram to be at (not looking to overclock)

Whatever settings they're quoted to be at.

You wouldn't really notice much performance increase from 2->4GB RAM (I did the same a couple weeks ago, only time I've used more than 2GB is when playing Empire: Total War). Also Vista's performance thing isn't what you could call... accurate.

I didnt think it was accurate... after it went from 5.5->5.1 then back to 5.5 all in 1 starting of the computer...

ah well, 4 gigs ought to help me out with Rome... now to overclock the pc! (yikes, first time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom