Which adapter do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanxia

Solid State Member
Hello all,
I have a laptop hard drive that I need to access on my PC. The laptop died awhile ago and I need the data, I'd like to find a USB cable adapter for it.

I searched for such an adapter but the results seemed to have a different pin style than my particular hard drive.

I created an account here and took some pictures to show what I have but just realized I do not have the permission to add attachments.

I'm not sure what description would be helpful but the pins are:

22 pins total
15 pins (4th and 12th raised above the others)
Then a plastic 'fork'
Then 7 more pins.

I'm very sorry for the poor information but would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Hmm, this was taken directly off my laptop (removed correctly). The other drive is the same, not sure what other info I can offer.

It looks like that is an adapter plug for the laptop, if I'm not mistaken you can just pull off the back of the adapter and then you'll see the normal sata pins once it's off.

Brinks you are correct! Serves me right for not knowing my laptops :) I pulled the adapter plug off and there are the normal sata pins. I haven't found the particular cable yet but I think I can find it easily. I appreciate everyone's help!

If it's normal sata ports underneath the adapter, you can connect it inside as a secondary drive if you like.

In the end it should look like this.
sata2.jpg

The smaller cable is your Sata data cable, this connects the hard drive to the motherboard providing you got a space and also providing you motherboard supports Sata connections.
Looks like this.
sata-data.JPG

The larger cable is the power cable, this you may need an adapter to convert the normal power cable to sata like below.
ide-sata-power-cable.jpg

Also if you think you might have the need to do something similar in the future or use any hard drives you find, you can invest in a multiport adapter which has connections for normal IDE, laptop IDE and sata drives.

Multiport adapter looks like this.
sata-ide-combo-adapter-for-harddrives-sata-drives-ide-drives.jpg

Thanks for the info! Is there a way to just use a simple cable to connect from the hard drive to the USB port? I'd rather not open my computer up (sorry for my noobness :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom