AC '97 and IDE Adapter help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snitched

Baseband Member
Ok, I am currently constructing a build which I recently bought and I have 2 questions.

1. I just connected the HDA cable to it's correct plug, And there is a Wire branching off of it named AC '97. But I can't seem to find a plug for it, Can anyone help me? Is the plug in the motherboard? Is the plug optional, Necesary? Or is it supposed to be connected to power supply?

2. I have a plugin on the motherboard called IDE1, And I'm wondering, Was my Motherboard supposed to come with this adapter? What is it used for? and is that optional?

MotherBoard Model --

Biostar - T-Series/TA790GXB A2+

Thanks in Advance,

And if you need any information, Let me know!
- Dylan

2. I have a plugin on the motherboard called IDE1, And I'm wondering, Was my Motherboard supposed to come with this adapter? What is it used for? and is that optional?

You are most likely using SATA Hard Drives and SATA Optical drives if you are asking that question. This is understandable considering that IDE is a dying technology.

IDE is the older type of connection that was used for Hard Drives and CD Rom. The motherboard manufacturer is just catering their products for the people that are upgrading thier older computers or comptuer needing ot be repaired. IDE interface might be yesterday's technology, but there are still a lot of computer out there that are using it.

In time, you will start seeing more and more motherboard coming out with no IDE interfaces at all. However coming from current trends, I don't see this happening for at least another 3 more years. Companies like Seagate and WD are still making IDE hard drives.

So IDE is optional? Because I found the adapter to use, But I don't see anything it connects to.

Yes IDE is optional, you would only use it to hook up older IDE Hard drives and optical drives. IDE is also a lot slower then the new SATA connection.

Question for keyboard Cowboy: can you hook up Both IDE drives and SATA drives in a PC, because IDE uses jumpers and SATA doesn't right?

You can run both IDE and SATA drives in a pc at the same time.

Intel actually dropped IDE support as far back as the p35 chipset however manufacturers have continued to put IDE connectors on motherboards through the use of additional controllers.

1. I just connected the HDA cable to it's correct plug, And there is a Wire branching off of it named AC '97. But I can't seem to find a plug for it, Can anyone help me? Is the plug in the motherboard? Is the plug optional, Necesary? Or is it supposed to be connected to power supply?

Many cases now have front audio ports with wires (I assume this is what you mean) that have connectors for multiple audio chipsets.

Just use the connector that matches your particular audio chip, whether it be onboard or addon. You don't need to plug both in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom