about to start my first build, any tips/tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzardxexe

In Runtime
just ordered my parts off of newegg. i have a book that explains how to do everything, but i realized i didn't buy an ESD wristband thing.

soooo, any tips? about anything? how i should protect my parts?

Just touch something metal before you touch a part, preferably an unpainted metal part of the case. You will be fine, ESD won't happen unless you were skiing on your rugs with socks beforehand.

Oh and what book are you using by the way?

Static can cause harm to components but its not likely for something to explode if you don't do everything right. I rebuilt my computer a while back and I had the case on my bed sheets and I was standing on my carpet with socks on. Nothing went wrong, of course it could of and I would of cried if it had...

ESD is an all to common hazard myth in my opinion. I've never used a ESD wristband thingy and I've never anything go wrong. With that being said, I would take that with a grain of salt, and make sure you do touch some unpainted metal before you start just in case.

ok, because the book said "if you dont have a radiator nearby, drive a stake at least a foot into the ground and sprinkle with epsom salts" lol so i thought it was a big deal

ok, because the book said "if you dont have a radiator nearby, drive a stake at least a foot into the ground and sprinkle with epsom salts" lol so i thought it was a big deal

Heh, sounds more like the start of a pagan ritual than putting a computer together. I have been building/repairing pcs for over 10 years and have never fried anything due to static. Heck i've even arc'd the 12v across parts before and not killed it. Just ground yourself touching bare metal before you touch your parts if it bugs you are that worried.

Wait, so i didn't have to sacrifice an unborn goat?! Dang! i just finished the pentagram.

well, ok, i'll just keep a large cookie sheet nearby or something. hopefully all will go well.

You won't need the wristband....just be sure to touch the case....and stay away from the carpet ....you know , anything that would help produce static electicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom