About RAM & Sharing RAM to Graphic ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticRose

In Runtime
My situation is as follows. I've got a laptop Sony Vaio VAIO PCG-FRV37, and currently is has 2x 256 MB PC 2100 266Mhz RAM. I want to upgrade it to 2 sticks of 512 MB.

So could i use a PC 2700 333Mhz instead of PC 2100 ???? Because it's much cheaper. Does it, in any sense, worse than using the PC 2100 RAM ?

Also, i got a friend who shared 64MB of my RAM into my graphic memory. At the moment he is gone, and i may want to share some more of my RAM into my graphic memory. So anyone could tell me how could i do it ?

Tnx a lot for reading.

If you buy faster RAM, your system will just downclock it to whatever the RAM speed is set at. If the fastest RAM supported is PC2100, then the PC2700 should just run at PC2100 speeds. Just make sure it is the right kind of stick before you buy it.

You would have to go into your bios and manually set the graphics to use more RAM. There should be a setting in there that controls the size of it

Well on my laptop i couldnt just get into bios. Is it when the machine starting and i hit DEL ??? Is there any other way 2 get into CMOS BIOS ???

Btw, if the CAS LATENCY of 1 stick of RAM is 2 and another 2.5, Will the 2 CAS LATENCY be faster or the 2.5 be faster ?

Tnx for your help ^^

The one with the lower CAS will be "faster," but you probably wont notice any difference.

About the BIOS, try F1 or F2, also check Sony's website and see what they say.

You could probably even find PC3200 for cheaper, which will work just fine, but it will underclock itself to whatever speed your CPU and mobo determine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom