About to get remaining parts for HTPC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
I'm torn between the 790gx or the NV 9300. Anandtech said overall the 790gx is better, but the 9300 had less stuttering/smoother playback for Blu-Ray. I'm really leaning more toward the AMD build, but was wondering what you guys think. I already have BD drive, RAM, HDD, and Case (w/ PSU).

Here are the options.
AMD build:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GX XE AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Nvidia/Intel build:
Newegg.com - ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

As stated this will be for HTPC with Blu-Ray, and I want to get into some folding with it but not entirely sure yet. What are your suggestions? Any other, better parts out there for this?

Yeah I must say the onboard on the 790 is pretty nice. Considering I come a long way with my past graphics card. Both builds will work.

What is the purpose of this computer? I mean yes, there are always better parts, at higher prices of course. I always seem to find building an up to date computer for around 1k is entirely worth it.

The triple and quad core processors are great to have for multitasking. They are beasts compared to the old X2.

Are you going to run onboard or graphics card?

The title says he's using it for an HTPC... ;)

Pretty sure he's planning on using the onboard.

Yea...no need for discrete graphics really. I might game a little bit on it, but no intensive games. That's what my current rig is for. It's really just for Blu-Ray, pics, music, and maybe some folding. I don't even need a tuner because I already have DirecTV DVR.

Both my htpcs are 790s, with low end X2s. I've had zero complaints with them to date, one is new the other I've had for a while but both have gpus.

Oh sorry, was a little late for me to be replying :)

I'd go with either one, it's up to you. Both are going to be good builds for the purpose.

I'd go with the 790 chipset. I am awaiting my Biostar board, can't wait to get it. I planned to use it for pretty much what you're using it for. I've seen it in action on my friend's computer, and it's a good platform.

Yea, I've never used Biostar, but the board looks solid and reviews seem to be good. It's also the only board that has that video chipset with built-in HDMI. It's good to know that you've seen it in action and it works well. Also, others here have had good things to say about Biostar boards. I'm going with that build. I ended up spending the funds on my gd sprinkler system though, so it's gonna have to wait another paycheck...arrgghh!

That line of Biostars in general is great. I have the TA790GX 128M, and it's awesome. The XE is basically the same thing except it doesn't have the 128mb extra SidePort, and it's MicroATX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom