About buying refurbished... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default About buying refurbished...

I'm about to buy a new computer, I really need one and I finally have a decent amount of cash saved up (it's for music production mostly but also general usage), the only one I can afford which is decent that I'm looking at right now is a 3.8Ghz dual core with 1gb of ram, which I guess will sustain me for a while. However I'm also seeing a 4.2 dual core ghz with 2 gb of ram, more disk space, better video, etc, for the same price, except it is refurbished. I am really tempted to go with this more powerful machine.

Anyways, it is worth it to get a refurbished desktop or should I pass?

ps the refurbished pcs and normal pcs are from tigerdirect.ca, where im buying from

Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

just so you know, the 3.8 and 4.2 aren't actually ghz... thats the equivalent pentium4 clock speed...the 3800+ is actually 2.0ghz.. but if it were a pentium 4, it would be like 3.8ghz... or something like that..

as for refurbished... i see why not.. i don't have any experience with them tho.. just make sure they offer some sort of warranty..

and just wondering..

how much are you spending?

Old 07-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
just so you know, the 3.8 and 4.2 aren't actually ghz... thats the equivalent pentium4 clock speed...the 3800+ is actually 2.0ghz.. but if it were a pentium 4, it would be like 3.8ghz... or something like that..
Yeah, I know.....since it's the equivalent I just go by those numbers instead..

Quote:
how much are you spending?
Around $900
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

If your spending lot of money on a new system dotn buy refurbed parts. One is okay witht eh exception that the others are brand new.

My advice is to go with that 3.8 dual core system for now and when the duals get cheaper you can upgrade at the end of this year or the begginning of next year. Also after you purchase that, buy a gig of ram seperatley if you want. Which by the way that 3.8 dual will be more than enough to handle all your proccessing needs. You probably will not see a very big difference performance wise, though there is a big difference is clock speeds between the two i doubt you will be needing the extra clock speed.

In conclusion theres so much that 3.8 can do it will be a bad move to get greedy with purchasing that 4.2 and find out those refurbed parts are screwed up and then your troubles will begin there. So just go with the 3.8 and buy a extra gig of ram, that way you can be assured all your parts are in good condition and ready to go.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
In conclusion theres so much that 3.8 can do it will be a bad move to get greedy with purchasing that 4.2 and find out those refurbed parts are screwed up and then your troubles will begin there.
I do music production on my computers using lots of synths and samples. The extra specs will be MORE then worthwhile to have...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, i understand your point completly, but lets face it we all want extra specs, but when it comes down to buying refurbed parts or new parts which ones are you gonna choose and why?

Theres your answer.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, about the refurb parts being faulty, they do offer warranties for 2 years...
Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah thats always good, thats a plus. Its your money man buy want you want. Thats just my advice. If you really want those parts make sure that warranty is valid theres so many ways they can screw you over on those.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to schulz269

i would buy new parts jsut to be safe.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Where would you buy the refurbished stuff from? Make sure it's someplace that'll be around in the next 2 years and has a good reputation for service (google it).