About to begin my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, why such a good machine with a crappy/medial video card, 8800gs is like $20 more and 20x better. (exaggeration)

Well, first I'm not a gamer; only like games like car racing and the like. And so far I did not find a game that would kill that card. For example I played "Alarm for Cobra 11" at 1024x768 with no problem. Also one of my friends, who had bought COD 4 and realized he didn't have a rig to play it, installed it in mine and played with no problem at the same resolution.

Second, here in Poland, when I was buying, 8800gs was much more expensive than 8600gt (like $70 more as far as I remember).

So I bought that 8600gt for about $100. Do you know any good car racing games that would choke the card?

No problem. As to my machine - I wanted it to be fast mostly for programming. I don't like waiting for my compiles to complete. :)

Need for Speed: Pro Street could lag your 8600gt, well unless you play on Medium

Dirt! Believe it or not you can have BEAUTIFUL graphics and smoothe FPS while playing dirt, download the demo and give it a try.. Great game, and works nicely on that card.

Reading this post was pretty **** exciting, I remember the first time I built a PC, I was worried everything would be DOA too... And I used an old power supply with the new parts so it didn't work and I had no way to test what was wrong, luckily the guys here on tech forums suggested I check the PSU (even though it had been working the day before, so I didnt believe them) and that was the problem.

You retired your Brisbane rig? WHY?!

AMD is smoother in games you know regardless of speed (also if you need a PSU, I think Ricanflow is selling his Ultra one)

The e8400 is pretty amazing, and for some reason lets me actually play oblivion with smoother FPS.. No longer jerks every couple of seconds.

I'll bring the Brisbane rig back, I just need to gather a PSU and HDD. But I think the upgrade was WELL worth it, things are so much faster and snappier.

Not looking for an expensive power supply for the brisbane rig right now, I figure a 400W PSU ought to do as it has no fancy GFX card, I think I might end up giving it to my friend who would only use it to play Warcraft III. (hopefully the onboard can handle such a dated game.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom