_grading from Pentium D 2.8 to AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narpstar

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm looking at selling my current system and buying another one simply to make some money. However I'm not sure which system will run my games better (I'm playing Battlefield 2142 at the moment). I don't want to sell my current system and buy a new system if there's going to be a drop in performance.

---------------------------------------
My current system:

Pentium D (Dual Core) 2.8GHz
1.5GB of Generic DDR2 RAM
GeForce 7900GS
Sound Blaster Audigy Value

The system I'm thinking of changing to:

AM2 (Dual Core) 4200+
2.0GB of Generic DDR2 RAM
Geforce 7900GS
Sound Blaster Audigy Value

-----------------------------------------

If I sell my current system and change to this system, I'll make about $500 profit... is it worth it? Will I notice a drop (or even gain?) in gaming performance?

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Cheers,
Ben

You will gain performance, but I don't think it's enough to be worth it. What you could do, is if your motherboard is C2D ready....sell your Pentium D, and get an E6300. Also sell your current 1.5 and get 2x1gb ram for dual channel. And if your motherboard is not C2D ready, sell the motherboard along with the Pentium D, and get a C2D mobo.

your performance will be a lot better, even better if u do what the guy on top says and get a C2D combo

Hey guys, thanks for your help. I've been looking into the C2D E6300 and can't find any comparisons to the Pentium D 2.8 (which I currently have). I don't know much about CPU's these days...

Can you tell me the differences between the one I currently have and the E6300?

Cheers

Narpstar said:
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I've been looking into the C2D E6300 and can't find any comparisons to the Pentium D 2.8 (which I currently have). I don't know much about CPU's these days...

Can you tell me the differences between the one I currently have and the E6300?

Cheers

The E6300 slaugters the pentium d. The core's are the fastest processors out right now.

Ok cool, so it looks like i can get an E6300 for not much more than the AM2 4200+... so I'd go with Intel. But what kind of motherboard do I need for it? I'm looking at the Gigabyte 8VM800PMD-775... would that be compatible?

i love my X2 4400+. Its probably not as good in comparison to the C2D but its still pretty fast.

That's C2D ready, but it's FSB is only 800/533 FSB, and the E6300's is at 1066. I think it will still work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom