940 cooler to fit on to an AM2 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrytewkesbury

Baseband Member
Hey guys. Well, title says it all. Just realised i've bought a CPU with no heatsink or fan (second time ive done that!) so i've been looking around and found very few affordable fans that fit on an AM2 cpu (the Zalman flower is nice but im keeping the pennies). I have found however, a larger number of socket 940/939/754 heatsinks. I found one place that claimed that one of their products fits on to 939/940/AM2... is this for real?

I just dont know!

Also, for all those who commented on the C2D vs 4200+ thread, thanks and i obviously went for th 4200+!

It depends on the kit... Different kits come with different adapters (generally), so they will fit a different number of sockets. If the kit SAYS that it will work with Socket AM2, then it SHOULD... I would go with a reputable brand if budget allows.

Yeah, thats the thing: i just looked at my bank statement so budgeting is the order of the day! The set i was interested in is:

Akasa AK-860 Low Noise CPU Cooler (Socket 754 & 939)

Which is uber-cheap, and sounds off at around 25decibels depending on where you look. I know the page states compatibility for sockets 939 and 754, but do a bit of Googling and you can find this model with claims to support AM2, for instance here:

Akasa AK-860 Socket 754 Fan Sempron/ Athlon/ AM2 Ready - AK-860 - www.microdirect.co.uk

Note that the blurb is the same for both sites, no doubt from Akasa. My point is here that pictures will tell you that sockets 940 and AM2 look the same (they both have 940 pins, but so940 doesnt support DDR2 - hardly an issue for the heatsink) as do the heatsinks but... I just dont know still!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom