8800gs selection: XFX vs EVGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So we discussed this a bit in the buy/sell/trade forum but I'm starting to move towards picking one of these up while they are nice and cheap for my wifes comp (onboard vid right now)...I'm kind of guessing these are clearance sales as the shift goes to the 9600gt.

The comp is mostly office/music/photo but I'd like to run: CS:S, WOW, and Starcraft II when it comes out.

I'm essentially trying to make two decisions:
1) EVGA vs XFX: Reviews on both cards are good.
2) Standard vs superclocked edition as prices are similar.

XFX
Pros: Double lifetime warranty is good selling feature, a little cheaper on the OC card
Cons: reviews say its loud

EVGA
Pros: 90 day step up if i change my mind for the 9600gt or 8800gt
Cons: big card (should fit in her mATX case)
Does anyone else have any experience with these cards or more pros/cons? Also,

then why wouldn't they?

Gordon Mah Ung says that superclocked versions of cards have better GPU's in them (statistically same, just better production models) so that they have better overclocks

Thus... that must hold true for XFX's cards too, otherwise why doesn't EVGA just pass the reference clock as well?

Confirmed? How much better of an OC compared to the OC i'd get with standard 8800gs?

Prices I'm looking at:

Xfx 8800GS XXX 680MHZ - $119, free S&H = $119
EVGA 8800GS 550MHZ - $109 + $15 S&H = $124
XFX 8800gs 580Mhz - $104 + $15 S&H = $119

Any input is appreciated.

get the cheapest eVGA, because within a weeks extra pay, you could have enough to step for a 9600gt (also Starcraft II isn't going to be very demanding, its playable on x1600xt from what I've heard)

and Spikeman says they all max at around the 730 core or 770? I forget...

I got the evga. 3 Reasons to get it over the xfx.

1) It has an adjustable fan, so you can turn it down when your not gaming so your computer doesnt sound like a jet.
2) It has a better type of memory in it which can overclock farther then the XFX's.
3)Evga is a better company

Yeah, i'm definitely leaning towards EVGA because of the step up and adjustable fan. But I'm being tempted towards the XFX XXX version as it's actually cheaper in the end with free postage despite being factory overclocked.

There is also the option of just leaving it as is now with onboard and waiting till the summer for the 9600gt prices to drop to the $100-$110 levels.

I've read both sides on this but that the GS overclocks better in the end...

Anyways, want to avoid the double PCI slot cards as is a mATX case and will be cramped as it is. Options essentially are 8800GS, 8800GT or 9600GT...with a budget of around $100 give or take.

I can wait another month if need be but would like to buy before mid may...so whatever is best buy around $100 between now and mid may is my plan. figuring these wont' go much lower as is probably clearance for 9600gt. Cant see their being a big market for the 8800gs out there in the future.

the gts is a little better, but the gs consumes less power and runs cooler, so with a minor OC it can be better

Cool....now if just i could predict GPU prices for the next month...they've been dropping like stones, how much further down can the mid range go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom