800$ gaming desktop tower build opinions please and thanks! - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: 800$ gaming desktop tower build opinions please and thanks!

That case should be great. It has plenty of drive bays for expansion.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hmmm...just saw the one fan. If you do end up going for that case you might want to pick up another 120mm fan. They aren't too expensive.

As an alternative you might want to try this case:

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

It is what I am currently using and I love it. 3 fans built in. Lots of drive bays for expansion. And I love the blue LED.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Being able to run your OS and a few games off an SSD is going to make your computer move quite a bit faster.
IF you can afford one it is suggested that you do; however, for a gaming rig I personally would skip the SSD and take that extra money to buy a standard hard drive and a better graphics card. I'd rather have my games look better and have higher FPS, than faster load times of Windows and games that are on the SSD.

Quote:
amazon has a really nice shipping policy all of this is going to be shipped for free
Is there some catch where you have to spend a certain amount or something? Not sure why you would want to pay more for items on Amazon when, on occasion, you can get them cheaper on Newegg, and still get free shipping. If you want to get the most out of your budget I would highly suggest comparison shopping between the two, you may end up buying some items from each site, but you'll probably save a ton (enough for an SSD maybe?).

*Edit - I go to bed and everything gets resolved while I sleep

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 08-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks both of you guys. I think that case you linked is perfect. And Haha roark u can thank nasa for resolving so many of the problems he's really a savy shopper
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hey also, im thinking of buying Amazon.com: 10-Bay ATX Computer Case with 550W PSU & 9.84-Inch Blue LED Fan: Electronics , just so i can save a few bucks and spring for an ssd. but my question is, does this psu have the right pin connections for my motherboard? i couldnt find how many pins my motherboard has. thanks alot!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The case with a power supply is $39.99, don't buy it.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i know but im a baller on a budget, plus i see the same cases for more without a power supply. and its a 550w ps. could you tell me why it wont work? such as material, pin connectors, fans size, bay ports, etc..? i mean it got mostly 5 star reviews. plus it has a huge fan. oh and its on amazon so it ships for free =]. thanks alot!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

1) Cheap power supplies have a tendency to die, and when they do they sometimes like to take other more expensive components with them.

2)
Quote:
1x 20+4 pin main connector
1x 4-pin peripheral
1x 12v 4-pin cpu connector
1x sata connector
5x 4-pin molex
It also doesn't look to have the 8pin CPU connector, PCIe 6pin connectors, and >1 Sata connectors you would need.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I have to agree on the psu. I'm not a big fan of the cheap ones that come in the cases because they do have a tendency to fail. The psu is connected to everyother component in the system. It is good to have a quality one.

That's a pretty good build that fat clown put together. I would take a closer look at some of the components. I noticed that fat clown didn't include a heatsink and fan in the build other than the stock one that comes with the cpu. If you plan on overclocking then you might want to invest in an additional unit with better performance like the one in the original build that was talked about.

Closed Thread