6800GT & High Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
I have an eVGA 6800GT and haven't had any luck connecting it to my HDTV for high def. The GPU only has DVI-out, VGA-out, and S-video-out. My TV accepts component-in and HDMI-in for HD. Are there any adapters I could get?

I have heard that VGA supports up to 720p. Is this true? Will that be enough for a 23" LCD TV? Of course I'd like to see what 1080i looks like.

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm not sure about VGA, but DVI can handle 1080i or p. I'm pretty sure that your vid card can handle 1080 (1920 × 1080).

According to Samsung, a DVI to HDMI adapter won't work with this TV.
Email from Samsung
DVI does not support HDCP, and using HDMI to DVI will cause it to lose HDCP compliance, thus it will not work.

Any other ideas?

Calzinger said:
Ah, thanks for the link, but will that even work with my nVidia card?

I see no reason why it wouldn't. It's not like HDMI that uses HDCP (which uses 2-way communication).

According to one of the comments at newegg, it won't.
Only works with ATI video cards. The sales language is not strong enough, saying that it works with ATI cards. But you MUST have an ATI for this to work. Definitely does not work with GeForce card in MacPro.
Of course we can't trust such comments, but I do remember reading somewhere that these adapters actually do convert the signal or transcode it or something. I honestly don't remember what it was saying, but I do remember reading an explanation as to why this adapter wouldn't work with anything but an ATI card.

The first few posts in this thread indicate the aforementioned claim on adapters.
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...to+component"+nvidia&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8[/url]

The link above doesn't seem to work right in the forum. When you click it, remove the "" that comes before [url]www.avsforum.com/ in the url.

I searched around a bit more and found this link: http://hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251
The ATI adapter won't work on non-ATI HW. It's a passive device that tells the card to output a different colorspace. But, as I said above that Mitsubishi should have an RGBHV (5-RCA connectors) input, and with that all you need is a VGA breakout cable.
Is my only option an expensive VGA to component transcoder? I don't want to spend that much money just for 1080i if I can just get 720p with VGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom