6600gt or 6800xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynical897

Solid State Member
Hey everyone..

I need some help choosing a new video card for my pci express motherboard. I can either go with:

6600gt 128MB 128bit

or

6800xt 128MB 256bit

The reason im having so much trouble choosing one is because they are both good in diferent ways, as i see it.
The 6600gt is gddr3, but only 128bit memory. While the 6800xt is only ddr except its memory is 256bit. The core/memory clocks are higher for the 6600gt. The 6600gt has 8 pipelines, and i think the 6800xt also has 8 pipelines. Please help me choose one..

(these are my only options)

I just bought a 6600GT from NewEgg.com, and I'll be building with it this week. :nerd:

if you want to spend a little more the 6800 will probably perform a little better. but if you have a good processor to back it up, the 6600gt will kick alot of @$$

Shell out the extra 30-someodd dollars for a 6800GS. the performance will almost be double.

I have a Chaintech 6600 GT, as my signature denotes. It works very nicely, as I cannot make any of my games unplayable throught settings alone. If you're looking at some really hardcore gaming, I'd shell out the extra cash, but the 6600 GT is just fine for middle-end systems.

get a refurbished or OEM 6800 (non gt, non gs), costs about as much as the XT, which is crap. If you can't, get the 6600GT over the XT, but that's only if you HAVE to.

no don't buy anything refurbished...that's horrible advice, i'm sorry. by a crappier card brand new before you buy a better card refurbished

molsen said:
no don't buy anything refurbished...that's horrible advice, i'm sorry. by a crappier card brand new before you buy a better card refurbished

Couldn't agree more. Who likes to gamble on account of 25-30 bucks?

Whoever said something about trying to shell out a few more bucks for the 6800GS is right.

But if you have to pick between those 2 cards, I'd have to go with the 6800XT. The 6800 core is just superior.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom