660 ti ftw

typicol

Solid State Member
I3 3220 CPU
16 gb ram
560 ti gpu
Asrock h77 MVP/pro3

So Lets just say my 660 ftw didn't work after installing drivers, I remove it from my pcie 3.0 slot and put my old 560 in to see what I could do, now that one isn't being detected, but both cards have their fans running so they're are receiving power(I've done this without the power cables connected) so it was just the mobo powering it.

So I've obviously realized what is wrong, that my 3.0 slot on my mobo isn't being activated to 3.0 due to the fact I am not running a i5 or i7, so if I get an i7 install it than my pcie 3.0 slot should be activated so my 660 ftw should be detected, right?

My real question is I guess that my 560 ti was in a 3.0 slot, and I understand that a 2.0 card can run in a 3.0 slot, so how come after taking out my 560 to put in my 660, my 560 no longer works in that 3.0 slot but I have a 2.0 slot as well and it work in there ( 660 ti ftw did not work in 2.0, figured I'd try)

I hope this makes sense if you have any question so I can clear something up

In the end I want this as my set up
I7 3.5 ghz 3770 I think
Asrock h77 MVP/pro4
660 ti ftw
16 gb ram
650 w psu
90 gb sdd
1 tb hdd

All Ivy Bridge CPUs are PCI-E 3.0 capable as is your motherboard. Your i3 3220 is PCI-E 3.0 capable. If your card isn't booting up or posting it has nothing to do with the slot speed. In other words, you don't need to upgrade. You have something else wrong.

So how after I pull out my 660 to try it out, my 560 no longer works in the same slot it's been in for almost a year, but it does work in my 2.0 slot?

Could be a bios setting not set properly. Try clearing your CMOS with the jumper to see if it works.

Also, what is your current PSU?

If you've had your 560ti or 660ti running in the second slot that runs PCI-E 2.0 @ 4x. Meaning, highly bottlenecking either card. Either one needs to be running on the top slot which is PCI-E 3.0 16x.

600 w corsair

The thing is I've been reading a lot of forums about people having a similar experience as me 3rd gen i3 trying to install into a pcie 3.0 and it not being detected, or running in 2.0 still

PCI-e 3.0 GPU + MoBo + Ivy CPU = PCI-e 2.0 ??? - Graphics Cards - Graphics & Displays

GTX 660ti PCIe 2.0 or 3.0? - Graphics Cards - Graphics & Displays

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2472714/all

Ill be resetting my mobo tomorrow, out of town ATM, but just curious about why people are saying what they're saying.

Lo and behold, the i3 3220 is 2.0.
ARK | Intel® Core

Not that it matters in the least. There are only 3 cards that can take advantage of a 3.0 slot right. The GTX 690, AMD 7990, and Titan. The 660ti doesn't come close to saturating the 2.0 16x bus.

So, correct me if I am wrong, if my fans on my video card both 560 ti and 660 ti ftw, are running without power from cables, just inserted in the pcie 3.0. Then that slot is working correctly right, because if it wasn't there would be no power distribution to the card, so if that is the case than why would a pcie slot be able to power a video card without detecting it.

But like I said tomorrow ill see after I reset the CMOS. Just is a very confusing situation, never had issue with just installing a gpu.

Regardless of the state of the slot or how it's set up it always provides 75w of power to whatever is placed in the slot. Your cards themselves won't be detected unless they have that external power even with the provided power from the slot. It's a failsafe. If the card tried powering up with just slot power and requires external power it could blow out the rails in your motherboard because it's trying to draw more power from the slots.

Would that be something obvious(blow out my rails), I only did it once at the end to test out every thing I could think of.

I have a new z77 mobo that should be in Tuesday if mine has gone bad somehow

Back
Top Bottom