650$ CPU Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you going to be using the computer for?

You should probably switch the hard drive for something cheaper... look at the Western Digital 640GB or Seagate 500GB 32MB Cache.

For most uses, you'll probably want to use that extra money and get a better video card. You could also go with a different CPU, save you 20 bucks on this : Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Really depends what you want to do with it. If you're going to be gaming, spend more money on a video card.

I am building this for a friend, he doesn't use much space in the computer and he doesn't really game neither. What he really wants is a very fast computer that will not freeze when he opens up any type of application (Regular stuff like Music, Videos, Editing Pictures. Websites(alot of pages open at the same time), and so on) He wants absolutely no lagging. So I figured those components were going to be perfect... Do you still suggest I make those changes?

Thank you for the reply, very appreciated.

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

get that cpu so you can upgrade graphics to 9800gt or get a nicer case.
Either way only get that if your planning on ocing.

Get what if i am planing on ocing? I am not planing on ocing...i don't think i need a 9800gt, he's not gonna game... so which is best for now?
the Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
or Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

how about memory 2gb good enough?

q6600 especially if over clocking (jk) no especially if he wants to multi-task (which is sounds like he does.) O and don't you need a power supply and a case. One last thing, I would get a cheaper hard drive.

honestly I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between that hard drive and a 7200rpm one

this hard drive has been known to have excellent performance, not to mention it's much bigger:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I'd probably go with this one though, since you seem to think that 74GB HDD is enough... this hard drive is cheaper and has a 32MB cache:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

q6600 is fine if you're gonna multitask a lot... but i mean a lot.
the E8400 would really be fine, and it's gonna outperform the Q6600 in many areas, unless you overclock the Q6600

Here's some better RAM - at least in my opinion (i like g.skill)
Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
or drop an extra 5 bucks and get slightly better:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

What case and power supply were you thinking of? You posted the video card twice.

I don't know too much about that motherboard... don't think it's too popular.

oh and also get an aftermarket cooler for the cpu, especially if you go with the q6600 - xigmatek rifle is good, but a pain in the *** to install.

Are you using XP or Vista and do you already have the OS? If you're gonna run vista, imo it's worth it to get 4gb of ram, xp is fine with 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom