6 months Upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 26
Default 6 months Upgrade

Planning on getting an upgrade, however...

I have 939 mobo with 2 SATA 150 slots which I currently use.

3000+ processor
1GB RAM
crappy gfx card

Was thinking of getting a 939 X2 Processor, but not sure if its worth it and instead get a new mobo for newer processors, new RAM and sell the old stuff.

Bare in mind its for 6 months time. I was thinking that by then they will have quad core, will a 940 mobo be good? or will they have new number of pins?

thanks
__________________

Lokolo is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar
 
Ste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default

Simple.
Save your money. And in six months ask again.
Then and only then can we tell you the best way to go.
__________________

Ste is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 26
Default

hehe im too impatient :P

but what are Athlon likely/planning to release in the next 6 months? 940 Quads? or some sort of new pin quads?
Lokolo is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar
 
Ste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default

Why are you only interested in AMD?
Like I said, save your money, and in 6 months we will see who and which companies have the best options for upgrading.
Ste is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 66
Send a message via AIM to Mitsu3kGTVR4
Default

yeah it's hard to say at the moment... right now i'm contemplating between getting an intel core 2 duo 6600 now or waiting for more quad cores to come out and get the core 2 for cheaper...

also depends if money is an issue...
Mitsu3kGTVR4 is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 26
Default

hm well im goin to uni, gettin a uni loan... so money won't be a problem :P

also I am anti intel :P (don't ask why, i just do not like them, same with Dell, hate um)
Lokolo is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,915
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123
Default

Again, wait until AMD comes out with a new competitor to the Core 2 Duo, it's not going to cost $230, that's for sure...
talldude123 is offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar
 
Ste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Lokolo
hm well im goin to uni, gettin a uni loan... so money won't be a problem :P

also I am anti intel :P (don't ask why, i just do not like them, same with Dell, hate um)
So what your saying is:
If in 6 months Intel is still better compared to AMD in the preformence area youll just ignore that and buy AMD?
How ignorant. But its your money, so w/e.

You should never limit yourself to specific product or company. When mass consumers, benchmarks, tests and experimentation says a given product is better over another given product then Buy it. (Unless money is a concern, but in 6 months of saving that shouldn't be a problem)

Im not saying intel or amd will be anything in 6 months. All I am saying is WAIT, then when it is time, post again or do you own reasearch and find out what is the best at that momment in time.
__________________

Ste is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.