5850 and 2x 5850 in crossfire (PSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5850 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

ATI Radeon? HD 5850 System Requirements

only 2pci-e connectors so you would need some adapters to run crossfire.

PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

I don't suggest using adapters.

Should be fine with one 5850, until your ready to buy a psu with enough native connectors.
why you dont suggest an adapter to run xfire?

Quote:ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5850 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

ATI Radeon? HD 5850 System Requirements

only 2pci-e connectors so you would need some adapters to run crossfire.

Quote:pCI-Express Conne
what kind of adapter? but the power of this psu should be just fine to run whether single or xfire 5850?

cables are included when you buy a retail 5850 right? so i can use those to run a crossfire in the future?

Using adapters increases resistance and places additional load on the rail being used, in which case you may be drawing power from the same lines that are powering the hard drives or optical drives.

Its much safer to have a power supply with the connectors already in place.

Much better to not use adapters but, you would need a molex to 6-pin adapter. Most cards come with them as well.

72.2MOLEX-PCIe.gif

i see, seems that adapter is included in 5850 retail and do I really need to connect the two cables coz there are two power socket on 5800 series.

A single 5850 will be fine, by the time he needs to upgrade it will probably be better idea to buy a newer single video card.

Either way.

I still firmly believe that if you want a multi card setup, the power supply should have the native connectors.

Not my choice though.

A single 5850 needs two 6 pin PCIE, which the PSU has, so you won't need the adapter with one card.

You can, or you can wait a few months to see how prices drop or what new products come.

But the 5850 would be fine for quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom