512 or 1g ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Org

In Runtime
I have 1x512 (PC3200 200mhz) and 2x256 (both pc2100 133Mhz)

Right now I have 503mb ram available but most games take up that much and more. A lot of my ram goes to Nortons and spyware Doctor so I plan on upgrading.

I still have one open ram slot.

I tend not to play ram hogging games but If one comes out I like I will buy it.

So should a get another 512 ram? Or go for the full 1gb?

I would take out the 2x256. Then try and get a 512 ram to match your current 512, like same speed (PC3200) and same timings. That way you have 2x512 running in dual channel.

Can I have 2x256 and 2x512 both running dual channel at the same time?

I know being slower the 256's slows down everything but I don't really care if something takes 2-5 secs longer to open/load.

Take all your ram out and get 1gb (not 512x2) PC5300 Costs about 70 pounds. That will handle most games without worry.

2GB is perfect though so get 2x1gb if you have the money.

Thanks

So you already have 1GB of ram...if you want to, go and buy any Value Ram Igb stick, then you'll have 2GBs...but it'll run at the slowest speed...

It would also help if you posted your specs when you ask a question:D

Personally i'd do what B1gapl suggested.

And shut down all background programs when you are playing games...you'll notice a huge difference..Norton and Spyware Doctor are system hogging, so shut em down.

Org said:
Can I have 2x256 and 2x512 both running dual channel at the same time?

I know being slower the 256's slows down everything but I don't really care if something takes 2-5 secs longer to open/load.

Yes you can have 2x 256 and 2x 512 in dual channel.

It will not take longer to load, if anything it will be faster. There will however be a drop in frame rate compared to a PC with faster RAM. If anything it everything should run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom