$500 - CPU & MOBO upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I'd like to upgrade in a few weeks to a month. Tax return should be nice and I can only put about $500 towards the PC. Right now I have a Phenom II 955 BE CPU and the Gigabyte 770t-usb3 mobo.

Few things:
I'm not an extreme overclocker. I might tune up the ram or CPU a bit, but I'm not looking to break records.

I'd like to pick up a crossfire mobo. I'm currently waiting for my HD6970 to come back from RMA and at some point will pick up another for crossfire.

I'm not one to HAVE TO HAVE AMD or INTEL. I'm asking you all what you think would be the best bang for the buck $500 budget.

What all do you use your PC for? Gaming I assume with your crossfire aspirations, but anything else?

Either way personally I'd say wait for ivy bridge to come out in April

I'm a PC gamer mostly. But also do a bit of photography. (Lightroom, Photoshop ett...)

wait 3 months for 22nm?

Abstract... link no worky

Tomorrow I get my Corsair 600t White SE case. Also... ThermalTake Frio.

A few months, for 10-15% performance, pci express 3.0 support, lower tdp, and high overclockibg headroom? I would but I wouldn't blame you for not.

I5, Asus sabertooth, and maybe a ssd if you dont have one.

I can wait. Not a big deal really. Current system is just fine. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should do for CPU + Mobo combo. If I do wait until ivy bridge, my budget will be slightly higher. Like $750. I don't have a SSD so that might be a good option too.

@ HAVOC, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

An SSD makes a big difference, even in BF3. Between rounds I seldom get to read the tips because the load screen is only there for a second or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom