$450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellothar121

In Runtime
Is there any possible way to make a computer that will run most current/new PC games at decent settings for about/less than $450? My friend is trying to convince his dad to get a family computer, but they don't have too much money to spare. I told him that if he convinced his dad, I'd try to find something (with some help from you guys). I don't know how he does, but if even if his dad says no, if he sees what kinds of "outrageously low" prices you guys come up with, he might change his mind. :D

Budget: $450
Must-Haves: 512MB, 2.xx (or higher) processor, OS, S-Video/Composite capabilities.
Nice-To-Haves: Decent VGA, Optical Drive with at least DVD-ROM capabilities, Modular PSU.
Price Includes: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Case.
NOTE1: What is the best/lowest-priced high-speed internet deal out there? Could you recommend one, because they don't have internet either.
NOTE2: Please, no AGP mobos, or old socket-types...

Thanks, everyone!

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot something:

I managed to get it down to $440, but wanted to see what you guys came up with. Here's mine:
Case
Mobo/VGA
I didn't recommend a PSU, but I added in $50 for that.
Proc
RAM
Hard Drive
OS

Your friend should use Linux, it will be harder to get the games to play on it, but it would be worth it to save money and be able to get better hardware.

Is the linux GUI the same as windows? His dad isn't too computer-savvy, and my friend's only familiar with XP.

Bump;

Same question as above (What is the Linux UI like? Can someone post a picture?), and another one:

Is there a program that can allow Windows games to be played on Linux? Is there a free/inexpensive OS that plays Windows games (that isn't Windows) and has a similar GUI?

If your intent is gaming, then Windows is better, hands down. Pretty much all games that are released only have Windows in mind.

Okay, Windows XP Home should do him fine, as that's about the only thing he's ever seen ^.^

What is the best performance/price card for under $80? I was looking at the 7600GS, but I realized that the biggest thing he'd be using this for (at the moment) would be WarCraft 3, so I considered sticking a 7300GS in instead, and getting a slightly better motherboard.

EDIT: Also, which of these two would you go with?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813123014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813138046

EDIT2: I've changed a few things, here they are:

Case/PSU
Hard Drive
Opt. Drive
RAM
Processor
OS

Now, you're all thinking "OMG CASE/PSU!!!" but apparently this PSU has a good reputation (amongst the people that it didn't come DOA...), but if you can find a PSU for $20 and a cool-looking, inexpensive case, I'll switch them. *sigh*... NewEgg sometimes has too many options...

That power Supply isn't the greatest but I'm running a 7900GS VM and an X2 3800+ on 18A so you should be alright. Plus a celeron is a piece of craaaaaap.

sounds good, reggie. Thanks ^.^

Yeah, don't I know it. I have a celeron M 3xx in my laptop (can't remember exactly what model, hence the x's). The good news is, I can use my computer when it's freezing out, and still not need a blanket!

If you can find a better (read: non-celeron) processor for under $50, I'll gladly put it on there. Otherwise, I'll inform them that the first thing they should change is their processor. This is just to get a computer in their house.

The most intensive program they'll be running is WC3, as I said before.

EDIT:
this motherboard has onboard video. Will that work for the time being? I'll be able to put in a slightly better processor, and maybe another stick of memory. I realize onboard video isn't that good for gaming, but they'll end up with it in there at some point, just not right away.

What do you guys think?

EDIT2: this
has replaced the other RAM, because the other RAM is out of stock.

u were going to use celeron? its teh worst for gaming, my 1.6 ghz P4 outperforms that 3.3 ghz celeron

Yeah, I put in a 2.66GHz Pentium D and kept the 7600GS.

Subtotal: $464.93
Rebates: $20.00
Shipping: $30.57
Total: $475.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom