4 year old computer broke down and need help with upgrading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfRider

Beta member
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I would like to say thank you in advance for your help and advise :big_smile:. Well, I went to a similar forum before about 4 years ago and with the help of some experts like yourself, I was able to purchase parts from newegg and enjoyed my gaming machine. As technology advances, my setup was outdated and was only about to run newer games in medium settings so I mostly stuck with the older games like (half life2, oblivion, online games, and others).
Unfortunately, about six months ago, my computer gave out and the problem was that it wouldn't start at all. At first I thought it was the power supply so I went to frys and got another power supply with more juice. I hooked it up to just the motherboard with all cards removed (graphics, ram, harddrives, dvd player) but obviously processor still attached and got the same results. So I concluded that it was the motherboard or processor that is the problem.
So now, with starcraft 2 and left for dead 2 and bunch of other games that I want to play out there. I figured I would get a new motherboard and processor so I will be able to have a gaming machine again. So please with your help, I will need to know what gaming cards to get and how much ram I need and motherboard and processor to best fit my gaming needs. Below are my current setup. I was hoping to reuse my graphics card, harddrive, dvd player, rams(maybe an upgrade). I also am low in budget so I was hoping to spend around under $300. Thank you all once again.

MOBO: EVGA 133-K8-NF41 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Manchester 2.0GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor ADA3200CGBOX
Graphics Card: EVGA 256-P2-N518 GeForce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
RAM: patriot psd1G400k X2
Power Supply: Allied Al -B450E Max 450W

I have 2 monitors, case, graphics card, harddrives, dvd player. So if I can just get another 7800GT SLI video card would that be sufficient enough for the newer games???

Thank you all! :big_smile:

-SurfRider

Saddly you'll pay about the same for a 7800 as you would for any new card and still notr perform well.

Unfortunately youyr whole rig is alittle out dated, and the psu isn't ummmmmm that "great",.
I wouldn't trust it at all infact.

Your ram is ddr, and thus outa date too, you'll need ddr2 minimum.

My suggestion would be to update the mobo/cpu/ram Then soon after psu/gpu

For 268 bucks and 40 mir, i got you mobo/cpu
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
And ram/psu
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

You could then add a bit more cash and get a decent gpu for about $140
Newegg.com - HIS H575Q1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
At a later date.

That looks awesome! Thank so much for your input. I will go ahead a purchase those from newegg and hopefully build it without problems.

Only part i question is the ram... It seems good, but not spec'd alot here.

What case do you have, you should double check it cAN hold a micro atx mobo... most do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom