3D, or No 3D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ownaholic

Baseband Member
Hey everybody, I'm brand-new here, and I'm just looking for some good opinions on 3D gaming.

I'm building my own computer for the first time in my life, and I figure now is the perfect time to incorporate 3D technology, if ever.

I just want to know if you guys think 3D is worth the high cost of implementation; for both modern-day games, and future games over the next 5-6 years. (That is how long I plan for this rig to last, given the high-end technology that I will be putting into it)

I think it would be so awesome to be able to play WoW and Starcraft 2, among other games, in 3D. It might be the final push to make me go PC primarily for my gaming rather than console, because the idea of looking down a sniper scope in 3D just sounds spectacular. And could you imagine playing Dead Space 2 in 3D? *shudder*
I guess there's always movies too, provided that I get a blu-ray drive.

I've searched online, and I've read mixed feelings about it. From what I've read, it seems that the few who have tried it, love it, and those who haven't, just don't like the prospect at all. I've read both that it increases overall game immersion, and I've also read that it actually can take away from immersion and severely hinder your accuracy.

Is it because the more hardcore gamers don't really care much for the idea, or is it rather because the high cost of entry is feeding their resentment?

The problem is that I've honestly never seen anything in 3D before, aside from stuff like Virtual Boy back in the day (which gave me headaches after prolonged exposure, but I think that was because of the angle you had to sit in to use it, and the poor technology of the system).

I don't have any friends that have any 3D technology, so I can't really sample the technology anywhere up close and personal. I doubt it would bother me or give me headaches now, since the technology has gotten so refined, but my main concern is that it will just end up being a novelty rather than a practical component of my regular gaming experience.
I don't expect to use it every single time I play a game, but it would be nice if it turns out to be so good that I'd feel the urge to turn it on every other day or so (if not more).

In layman's terms, is the high cost of 3D gaming hardware (the extra $100 for a 120Hz monitor versus a regular 60Hz monitor, and the other extra $100 for the nVidia hardware) worth it?

So tell me your 3D gaming experiences, and let me know what you think I ought to do. I really want to give it a shot, I just don't want to waste $200 on technology that I'll hardly ever use. My best friend who is also a gamer thinks it's just a dumb novelty gimmick, while my non-gamer girlfriend thinks it would be pretty neat.

Thanks a million guys!

The technology is still fairly new so it's not this Grand new ultimate experience, some games will work better than others. I suggest you try it out 1st, I know it gives me a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom