3D drawing problem with old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cut2spec

Beta member
Hi

I have a desk top dell Dimension E520 with 1 GB ram and a Pentium D 2.8 GHz

I can not afford a new computer but I really need to do something because when I am drawing in 3D and I will be doing a lot of 3D for a while, the computer keeps hanging up. I spend more time waiting then drawing.

Any ideas or how I may upgrade this computer

Well, what you are experiencing (just mentioned this somewhere else) (rather likely) is lack of processor power (If I remember right these D's used to go for like $250 back in like '05, lol). Anything dealing with 3d you would generally (these days) want to go with at least a 2.55 quad, but even that may not work well depending on what you are trying to do in 3D.

While the processor would help most, you may also want to consider a RAM upgrade (looks like that POTENTIALLY could be bottlenecking you right now, but again, I am not 100% on that).

You did not make any mention of a graphics card, if you are using the stock gfx on the E520, that could also be a bit of a problem for you, while it is not as big an impact, that stock gfx could really hold you back.

It could really be a combination of any of those. I really am not sure what type of hang-ups you mean, but those are three potentials. (That said, if it is still image 3d, you should still be manageable with that 2.8 dual, so, it depends on the 3D I guess)

I am sure other will chime in here soon enough but those are my ideas for what could be causing your hangups.

Thank you for your fast response. I am using the stock graphics card. I am drawing with Bobcad a cad/cam program for CNC machining. The hang ups happen when trying to excute fuctions it takes very long for these to work.

The minimum requirements for bobcad are

•2 GHz Processor 1 GB Ram
•2 GB Available Hard Disk (Used for Paging File)
•Windows XP / Windows Vista / or Windows 7
•128 MB Graphics Adapter* that supports OpenGL 1.1

If it would be cheaper to buy a tower what would be the recomendations and I am looking to keep the cost down.

would increasing my Ram to 2GB bandaid my problem untill I buy a new computer?

would increasing my Ram to 2GB bandaid my problem untill I buy a new computer?

Again, it really depends on the type of computing you are doing.

So... Honestly? I am not quite sure.. If you are doing anything besides 3d rendering while you are doing 3d (IE, listening to music and checking e-mail), chances are it would help you out.

If you do 3d rendering almost exclusively, it may help a bit, but not as much as you would like it too after a certain point. I am sure anybody here could explain this better and also they have a better understanding (as I am not 100% on all the resources used to do 3d).

You can find out if the ram would help by opening the task manager, and next time you are rendering, go and see how much ram is "Available" vs how much is "Total". If that number of available ram is very low, than a ram upgrade would benefit you, if it is higher, than ram is not your problem.

Again though, my guess is it is your processor, and truely speaking, I think you just need to build yourself a new system (building is easy and can usually save you allot of money!), you can still save some money by re-using a few of the components you have, but you can build a decently specialized computer for ~$600-800

The best you can do with your present setup would be to max your RAm and drop in a C2D E6600.

For RAM, I would say to get two of these:
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model 3AMD2800-2G2K-R
$45 (x2)

An E6600 would set you back $95:
BX80571E6600 Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6600 3.06GHz 1066MHz 2MB LGA775 CPU, Retail - Intel Pentium Dual Core - SuperBiiz.com

So, there's $200 and you would be topped out with your current computer sans graphics.

Here's a basic build
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
&
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply

$95

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1333LV4GK
&
AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model ADX635WFGIBOX

$183 w/$10 rebate card

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$95

Total = $373 with you reusing your optical drive(s) and hard drive(s). This does not include an operating system.

And, yes, that build would rip your current computer a new one, and the onboard graphics are way better than the Intel you currently have.

Actually, I just posted this same build like 15 minutes ago, but I think it would be good for you too (as this guy also was into 3d shenanigans). May be a smidge over you budget, but it would literally rip the face off of you current build.

Anyway, this is my suggestion for a semi-budget build (Assuming you use your current monitor, hard drives, speakers, power supply)

Motherboard: Foxconn A9DA-S $110.00
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 ghz) $183.00
RAM Gskill Ripjaws Series (4 gigs) $110.00
Case Phoenix Neo ~$80.00

Total Cost - $483.00

That build is similar to the one trotter posted, but the motherboards on-board graphics are a step up, and I am only planing on 4 gigs of ram for you (will be more than enough for now, but you can always add more), however you also get a much faster processor. Also, in the event you decide to get a large graphics card, it will fit in this case (reason I had to drop my Antec 300 case was the new cards did not fit very well (made me mad by blocking my hard drive bay lol)).

While not super top of the line, this would be a whole lot better than you have now. Also, tortter is right, you can loose the gfx card if you get a new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom