32 bit or 64 bit machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangfroid

Beta member
Hi

I am planning to buy a new machine ..but i am confused which one to go for ?

Should i go for 64 bit machine or 32 bit...what the the pros and cons in getting 64 bit machine ?

any ideas ???

Well almost all CPU's now can do both. So it comes down to you. 64 Bit is the future. It is where we are going. Are you planning on running 4GB or more of RAM. If so then fo for 64 Bit for sure. As it will utilize the RAM better.

But the first thing you should do is check to make sure what you are looking to buy has 64 Bit drivers. For Vista. If so then start looking at the software you run. Does it work with Vista 64 Bit? If so then there is no reason not to at least try it.

yeah...but the thing that i am worried is, will visual studio 2008 and MSSQL servers (32 bit) still work on it ?

buying pc wont be a big deal...but it will be pain if i need to get again visual studio 64 bit and 64 bit SQL server

Well almost all CPU's now can do both. So it comes down to you. 64 Bit is the future. It is where we are going. Are you planning on running 4GB or more of RAM. If so then fo for 64 Bit for sure. As it will utilize the RAM better.

But the first thing you should do is check to make sure what you are looking to buy has 64 Bit drivers. For Vista. If so then start looking at the software you run. Does it work with Vista 64 Bit? If so then there is no reason not to at least try it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but it's kinda related

What if you have the 32-bit system and get more ram, how would you upgrade to the 64-bit version?

Every program im using on my pc (vista 64bit) runs fine. And a good majority are 32 bit (xfire, winamp, firefox etc...) The CPU will simply run it in 32bit mode if there is no 64bit support for it. So you have nothing to worry about. Although Id do a quick google search to check if those programs work fine in vista (should do).

Just because you have a 64bit OS doesnt mean you HAVE to use 64bit programs. If they are 32 bit, your CPU will simply run them as a 32bit program.

There were 2 reasons why I went 64bit. 1) Its the future and 2) graphic and video editing.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but it's kinda related

What if you have the 32-bit system and get more ram, how would you upgrade to the 64-bit version?

You would have to buy the upgrade version of the OS which is 64 bit. (make sure you have a 64bit CPU first)

Yeh 64bit is great. Its better technology, and finding drivers etc is easy. Vista also runs better as 64bit, and some games coming out also do, the only problem ive found is that punkbuster only supports 32bit for crysis, but that just meant making a shortcut for 32bit.

As dor upgrading from 32bit, im pretty sure it would need a full reinstall.

If you call microsoft and pay $8 or so for them to ship you a 64 bit disk, you can then uninstall your 32 bit version, and just use the same password to activate the 64 bit version.

This won't work if the password is attempted to use on more than 1 pc though obviously.

Yeh 64bit is great. Its better technology, and finding drivers etc is easy. Vista also runs better as 64bit, and some games coming out also do, the only problem ive found is that punkbuster only supports 32bit for crysis, but that just meant making a shortcut for 32bit.

As dor upgrading from 32bit, im pretty sure it would need a full reinstall.

So this is why I cant play MP!!! I cant enable PB in the options menu so cannot join hardly any MP games. The ones I can have a risk of hackers on them:(

(sorry to go off topic). Can you explain to me how to do this?

Cheers

- Will

So this is why I cant play MP!!! I cant enable PB in the options menu so cannot join hardly any MP games. The ones I can have a risk of hackers on them:(

(sorry to go off topic). Can you explain to me how to do this?

Cheers

- Will

Easy, just make a shortcut directed to the bin32 exe. If you have a 64bit OS crysis defaults to 64...but they forget to tell anyone to do this if they want to use mulitplayer and PB!!! Idiots...

Every program im using on my pc (vista 64bit) runs fine. And a good majority are 32 bit (xfire, winamp, firefox etc...) The CPU will simply run it in 32bit mode if there is no 64bit support for it. So you have nothing to worry about. Although Id do a quick google search to check if those programs work fine in vista (should do).

Just because you have a 64bit OS doesnt mean you HAVE to use 64bit programs. If they are 32 bit, your CPU will simply run them as a 32bit program.

There were 2 reasons why I went 64bit. 1) Its the future and 2) graphic and video editing.

You would have to buy the upgrade version of the OS which is 64 bit. (make sure you have a 64bit CPU first)

That actually helped me alot when i DO decide to upgrade my good old P4. Thank you. No more worries now. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom