3.4 Ghz Prescott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares6735

Baseband Member
I just put a P4 3.4 Ghz Prescott CPU into my computer and it comes up as a 3.4 Ghz under model, but the speed is read as 2.8 Ghz. I am confused... I am using Sandra, Dxdiag and the screen durring boot up. Sandra says 3.4 under model and speed as 2.8 Ghz, Dxdiag lists the CPU as 3.4 Ghz Prescott and on startup the screen says 2.8 Ghz. So i want to know what speed it is really running at and if it is really running at 2.8 Ghz, how do I get it to run at its 3.4 Ghz max?

What did you upgrade from. a Celeron? You might have to go into the bios and up the FSB to 200. Your multi should be 17 whic h times 200 is 3.4. if your FSB is at 166 that would be 2.822 or 2.8 GHZ

Exactly what I was thinking. If the FSB is running at 166, then 2.8ghz would be just about right. Go into your bios and set the FSB to 200. What is your motherboard?

Ryan

I feel stupid asking, but how to I up the FSB, I tried going into my setup durring startup, but I didn't see anything about FSB and I didn't want to change anything that I didn't understand. There was CPU overclocking...?

A better idea might be to just clear the bios instead of going into them and finding the FSB. pop the battery out of the motherboard and run around your house once. Then go put the battery back in your motherboard. This might automatically detect it.

Ryan

err... I don't trust myself to take my battery outta my MB, I don't know my way around my MB that well just yet... I am a novice, theres gotta be somewhere that I can just type in FSB 200 or select the speed and be done with it that way...

taking the battery out is easy... it should be on th ebottom right of your MB.. just looks like an oversized watch battery

oh, I offered the battery idea because it's a lot simpler... There's only one battery on the motherboard. If you can change a processor, you can pull the battery out...

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom