2nd build- some parts salvaged- need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asim8722

Beta member
Hello,

Recently after coming back from vacation, my computer of four years died. After opening it up it was caked with dust. Instead of buying a new motherboard/PSU I have decided to build a new one altogether. I was thinking of salvaging a couple items:

- Case

- GFX Card- eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS

- CD/DVD Drive

My budget is around $600.00 for a new build... is it reasonable to save the gfx card? I won't be doing any gaming at all for at least few months so I figure this card will hold until then. Before the computer died it was playing SC2 on High Settings.

Here are the parts:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Mobo & CPU $319 - $10 mir

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
PSU & HDD $140 - $15 mir

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
RAM $90 + FS

Here is a link to the case I already have:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Are these compatible with the older Geforce? Any areas to save? This computer will mainly be used for multitasking, watching movies, lots of music, etc... eventually gaming as well.

Thanks in advance,

Your PSU & HDD link doesn't work.

You should buy new fans for the case. The i5 gets hotter than your old cpu so ventilation is important. If your case has any optional fan locations you should buy a fan for them also.

I would buy DDR3 1600 memory but if you have no plans on overclocking then you'll be ok with the DDR3 1333.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom